Home Forums Tech Talk KPV/HPV Gearing for Apex

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sebastian Bacon 4 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Andrew Serrato
    Participant

Hi, all –

I’m new to the EKN and southern California F100 community and was hoping some of you seasoned vets could provide a little insight on gearing a KPV/HPV for Apex in Perris, CA.

Right now, my kart is set up with a HPV motor and a HPV 3 pipe. The HPV engine came with an 11 tooth on the clutch, and the Italkart manufacturer provided a 85 tooth sprocket as my “stock” sprokect. I’ve heard HPV 3 pipes  have a fairly strong bottom-end, and judging by some recent YouTube footage, it looks like Apex may require a gearing that provides a stronger top end for those long straight aways.

I’m curious as to what gearing you’d seasoned vets would recommend. Thanks for the advice!

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Never been to that track but if it’s about a 1/2 mile I’d try the 85 first then put on an 83. If it’s 1/4 mile I’d try an 87. If you feel it stop pullin’ 3/4 down the longest straight it’s about right.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Sebastian Bacon
    Participant

Andrew,

If I remember correctly, I think I ran a 10/78 with a 3 pipe. This is about equivalent to an 11/85 or 11/86. So I think the 85 should work pretty well. I would start with the 85 and go from there.

Hope this helps.

Sebastian

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.