Home Forums General Karting Discussion Kids Karting?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Kenny Fisher
      Participant

I’m interested in getting my son in to Kart racing. We have a track local here that would be a great place to start. I just have a few questions about getting started.

What is the best age to start a kid in karting?

How do you go about introducing karting to them to see if they are interested?

Once interested what is the best way to go about getting in to kart racing?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Gary Lawson
      Participant

The earlier the better is likely the consensus any kart racer would tell you. You can take him to a fun kart track if you have one nearby and he is old enough to drive them or ride along with you. Or just take him to the race track to watch. Walk around and talk to the parents and ask questions. Many track owners even make opportunities to let new/potential racers try out a kart after the events are over at local tracks.

Jason r ewers
      Participant

Kenny, glad to hear you are interested in getting your kid into karting. I would first visit your local track and talk to the other parents that you will be tacit against. I would even offer to rent their kart for a practice session to see if your child is  still interested after they are in the seat. I know at first my son was all about the suit and helmet and the kart was just a side bar. Once he races a few times he really started to enjoy it and he can’t wait to get in thee seat again this year.

if your child is truly interested you can find a god kid kart for 1000-1500 dollars. These hold value pretty well so if it doesn’t work out you won’t be out a ton. Once you have your kart and racing gear go out and practice, practice, practice. I had a 2 way radio at first for my son to help him with breaking points and just for my own security. Once I had confidence in him I pulled the radios. You will be surprised at how smart they are and how well they make decisions on the track. I was amazed. Hope this helps

Kenny Fisher
        Participant

Jason how old was your kid they first started? My son is 3 will be 4 in a few months. I was thinking of exposing him to it now and by time he is 5 start racing.

Walt Gifford
      Participant

8 years old is the right age.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
      Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
      Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
      41 years karting experience

Vince Fernandez
      Participant

Kenny, karting is a great sport! I think it’s awesome to see families bring there boys and girls to the track for the first time. My son has been karting for one year now,he’s six. I’ve seen 4 year olds try it, but they seem to take to it much easier at five. We took the steps Gary mentioned to see if he had interest. Now that we’ve been doing this for a year, we’re getting the hang of it. I never raced so to be honest my tuning abilities have held him back. I would advise a noobie to ask ALOT of questions about chassis tuning, and find a good engine builder. The local track is probably the best place to find a kart to buy, and the seller will probably help you learn how to set things up.

Kenny Fisher
      Participant

Thanks for the info guys, I wanted to start now taking him to a race hear and there to expose him to it and hope fully by time he is 5 get his first Kart to practice in and possibly race by 6.

My only apprehension with that is at my local track he would be in a new class by age 8 which would require a different Kart for the cadet class. Is it really worth investing on the Kids Kart only to use it for a year maybe two years.

Jason r ewers
      Participant

Like I stated above the kid karts hold value. I bought mine for 1250 2 yrs ago and sold it for 1250 this winter. Where are you planning on racing

Kenny Fisher
      Participant

I live in Ohio and Circleville Raceway Park is my local track. I could always keep it for my daughter who is a couple years younger than my son..haha

Jason r ewers
      Participant

That’s what I’m doing. I bought my son a new kid kart with the Honda 4 strike and will keep it for his sister when he moves up. If you want to make a little trip new castle is racing tomorrow and we usually get 8-10 kid karts and they start the kids at lunch so we will do 2 practice sessions and a qualifing session then a race. All done in about an 1 and half hrs. Starts around 11:30.

Jason r ewers
      Participant

Not sure if it’s kart life or what but we had 15 kid karts today at new castle. Great racing and kids had a blast.

Dan Schlosser
      Participant

Great place to start Kenny – lots of friendly, knowledgable people over there that will help you get off on the right foot. Along with NCMP, G&J Kartways in Camden, OH is a short ride and Pitt Race in PA is about 3 hours away. You are actually in one of the best pockets in the country for Kid Kart, Rookie and Sportsman racing – all programs are very supportive and pretty well attended.

We have started a lot of young kids out in our programs and I can honestly say that from 4-7 it is just a guessing game. Some are ready at 4 for practice days and some at 7 are not ready to race. Pay for a Test Drive and if that goes well then maybe rent a kart for a few days when you can get the track mostly to yourself. You’ll know pretty quickly if he is ready.

In your area Jim Conlin at Adrenaline Fix karting is a great resource as well as a few other local shops.

Jason is spot on in regard to value of a used Kid Kart. If it runs it is never worth less than $1000 and if it is the most badass, decked out race winner it rarely is ever worth more than $2500. Costs about $2500 new for a basic one, $4000 tricked out. Safety gear will run you around $500 for a CRM2007 rated Youth helmet, proper chest protector (and rib vest probably), foam neck collar, gloves and a suit or jacket. Don’t skimp on the helmet and I’d recommend a foam collar with the wedge such as the Kart Racewear brand to start – the neck collar/brace is most importantly there to carry the weight of the helmet for the kids until their necks get stronger.

If you have the choice go with the sealed Honda over the Comer every day of the week and twice on Sunday. You’ll spend more time working with your son and enjoying the sport rather than being frustrated with your engine.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.