Home Forums General Karting Discussion Kart Shed

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Barrington 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Chris Barrington
    Participant

I got tired of storing my kart on top of my race car (first world problems…), so I picked up a 7×7 Rubbermaid shed from Home Depot and installed a hoist to get the kart off the stand and onto the ground, or my trailer.

Here’s the shed.  $650 now at Home Depot, but I got lucky I guess and paid $500 for mine.

I installed it on a 2×4 frame I constructed, which added another $180 or so in materials.

Once setup, I added a 2×4 frame on two sides (front and back) which allowed me to run a 1.5″ piece of conduit from from one frame to the other, which I hung a 440lb capacity hoist (from Harbor Freight) from.  This allowed me to place the hoist exactly where I needed it to lift the kart.

All in all, less than $1000 and I don’t have to bother my neighbor anymore to help me load my kart on and off my trailer.

Here’s video of the hoist in action.  I was still playing with straps and placement.

Video

Cheers,
    Chris

Spencer Uzri
    Participant

Have any pics of the kart suspended on the hoist setup?

Chris Barrington
    Participant

Not the best, but here you go:

(pardon the junk…surprise rain storm prompted some creative storage…)

The straps look super sloppy, but they are plenty stable.  I leave it lowered on the stand, so I only have it in the air for a minute or so.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.