Home Forums General Karting Discussion Is The timing right for Karting companies to Enter USA Market

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Bob Baldwin
      Blocked

There seems to be a lot of  interest from karting companies in Europe to enter the USA Market .Is the timing right ?

Would you consider a Brand from Europe doing well ,But NOT amongst the top 7-8 brands that you normally think of ?

For What reason did you ultimately decide on YOUR chassis ?

Was COST a factor ?

Would you consider another brand of chassis ?

TJ Koyen

Not sure what you’re asking here. Nearly every sprint kart already comes from Europe and it’s been that way for a while.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
      Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
      www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
      www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Bob Baldwin
      Blocked

TJ: I am talking about brands like Mach 1 Karts and Formula K karts that are doing very well in Europe but have NO USA importers or dealers . Yet them still wanting to enter the US market .

i have NEVER been an importer or a dealer and NOT really looking to do such at this time . Quite honestly I could NOT tell you the difference between them and a Green Kart , Red  Kart . black kart , orange kart etc;

I DO like things that are different however we as Karters already have MORE brands then we can possibly name . Tired of hearing ” SUPPORT WHAT IS PRESENT AT YOUR LOCAL TRACK ” Great advice for the new karter . For the guys above that level ,How do you make your choices .?

Gary Osterholt
      Participant

Both those karts have been imported into the States before.  Mach 1 had an importer out west for a while and I believe someone in PA for a while as well.  Formula K was in the states last year with Champion Racing.

The best example of a top level driver winning on whatever brand was Scott and Alex Speed.  I didn’t matter the kart, they were ALWAYS up front.  So with the right driver and support any kart can win.

Support is the key in karting in my opinion.

Gary Osterholt
      GO Designs, LLC
      http://www.godesigns.us

Bob Baldwin
      Blocked

GARY : I seem to recall that Mach 1 had a dealer  /  track owner out in  New Mexico at one point in time and then the track got sold . The past 10 years or so I very rarely see anything mentioned about karting in New Mexico on EKN here

I just don’t recall anyone in Penn.  being a Mach 1 dealer or importer

I did speak with Bret at Champion they have about 13 Formula Karts left over but Don’t really push the product . Back in the Murley days with Bret and Rodney they were always in contention for a win . I prefer NOT to Speculate as it is NONE of my business but for a few years they wee NOT involved with Intrepid but NOW again they are again. They and their Dad were Great people .

As far as  Scott and Alex Speed go they were very Talented Drivers ,along with their Dad Mike they were always in contention for a win . You could have probably put either in a BOZO Kart or a CLARA-BELL KART and with Mike turning wrenches they would still be in contention for a win.

Your Comment ” Support is the Key in Karting ” is a point that could be argued all day long . There are some of us that prefer NOT to run the TOP 5 most popular karts and would rather TINKER with other brands if they can be made to be Competitive . Still though NOTHING beats SEAT TIME .

TJ Koyen

Nearly any kart can be competitive if you put the right driver in it and if you know how to tune it. If it’s doing well in Europe it’ll do well here.

Most of the teams that are doing well in Europe already have their karts here. Tony Kart, Birel, PCR, CRG, Energy, ART GP, etc.

A kart that does well on a world-class level is clearly a good product. It gives some justification to your purchase to have that pedigree.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
      Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
      www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
      www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Jim Howe
      Participant

Very interesting post where I find myself on both sides of the fence.

I understand the support angle as it is very hard to go-it alone. Some of us, myself included, need the factory information or the availability of local parts and advice to be competitive.

Yet, I too don’t want to be another “red” kart or “blue” kart in the crowd. I was one of the first to run a GP kart in the U.S. and thoroughly enjoyed being a little different. And the GP was/is a great kart.

I now run a Birel, which means I’m one of a few million “red” karts. As a team owner, I have to go where I go, based on the current situation. Should a new kart enter the market, and it has “enough” support, I might go that way. Not that I’m unhappy being one of the million “red” karts; the Birel has been exceptional, easy to tune, and fast. Still, I like being different. Right now, I’m looking at the DR. We’ll see….

Bob Baldwin
      Blocked

Jim: Yes there is much benefit to be derived from having the support angle around . In our case we entered with a kart ” CORSA ” that really had NO support in Florida . It actually came with assembly instructions but no info on Chassis tuning . Quite honestly I would NOT recomend going that route for a newbie . Again the first few times we ran it was almost embarrassing . What we ended up doing was Practice Practice Practice  Test Test Test and took a lot of notes . LOL Surprisingly after a few months things started coming together and we were able to figure out some of the advantages of having done the testing and practice .

Now at that time podiums were attainable and did occur which in itself was very rewarding But the obvious difference was the guys that always seemed to be on the top step were guys that  had 5 years more driving experience than us and were affiliated with TOP teams that had engine and chassis tuners somewhat at their disposal . I’m NOT saying anything is wrong with people who choose to go that route as to me that is a matter of economics .

Yet there was MUCH satisfaction derived from being an UNDERDOG or being in a Davy Vs Goliath situation that made the REWARDS much more Satisfying .

Keep in mind that this was pretty much a Regional thing , When we went to a NATIONAL event we pretty much got our Butts in a Sling . I’m NOT saying it doesn’t happen anymore but usually the trend seems to be that at National events the Podium guys usually arrive after emerging from a Major team “TENT ” . Hey IF YOU GOT THE $$$ More power to you .

somewhat going back to my original topic there are kart MFG’s in Europe with a STRONG presence there but do NOT have any importers or dealers here . YET you can buy their product have it shipped over here and do your own thing . The way the internet system is now you can almost punch in any question you have and get a REAL QUICK reply .

On balance doing the vast amount of testing we did I am NOT SURE if in fact we had SAVED any money as opposed to hiring a Great TUNER or being one of the other as you say “Million” red , green , or black kart and operating under their tent so to say .But I will repeat the results were more satisfying when we did well . Glad to hear there are more tinkerers out there . We will be getting back into it again but I am POSITIVE it won’t be a RED , Green , Black or Orange  Kart .

Gary Osterholt
      Participant

Bob,

Very few karts come with a setup guide.  I know a few do.

CORSA Kart is made by HAASE.  And HAASE actually has a really good guide on the website.   I have the Haase/Corsa kart How to Guide bookmarked.

Your original question, yes any kart can be fast.  And yes you can buy something have it shipped over here and go at it.  But if you break a part, hope you have a spare.

When I talk about support, it’s having someone that knows the kart and has all the spares.  Either at the track or where I can call Monday morning.

Gary Osterholt
      GO Designs, LLC
      http://www.godesigns.us

Roger Ruthhart
      Participant

Well, it seems to me there are two issues:

1) The economy. Now would be the time to import used karts.

2) Finding a good importer. A lot of good kart products are already over here but we don’t know it because the “importer” is one shop with no network. Historically, that has been the biggest issue for many importers. On the flip side, I’ve heard its tough to find an importer when you demand they buy a container full of karts. Not many karting businesses are well enough financed to jump into importing. Factor in cultural issues, money, customs, parts support, etc. and Margay looks pretty good.

James McMahon
      Participant

Bob you’re being very vague here. What brands are you talking about that are strong in Europe but not here? I mean core brands here.
      Assuming that there is a lot of interest from euro companies (source?!)  in most cases its not really their money on the line, taking the risk.  Its the importers. So yeah, I’d be interested too if I could flog 50 chassis to someone and let them handle the rest!

Bob Baldwin
      Blocked

Jim : I will send you a PM with details at this time prefer to keep it off the public forum

If anyone wants to see the correspondence Please e-mail me and I will Forward the info to you

Thanks

Bob Baldwin

e-mail: bigbob817@gmail.com

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.