Home Forums TaG Interchangeable Leopards?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Valdis Sustko
      Participant

I am currently running a MY09 Leopard and am thinking about getting a spare engine. Would original Leopard work with 09 wiring and computer. If needed, I was thinking about a quick engine swap.

Tim Koyen
      Participant

Yeah, I don’t think its just a simple action of plugging things in.  For instance, the 09 uses a rev limiter that the older ones don’t have.  Russell Karting would be the expert on the subject.

KartLift Kart Stands
      DeepSeat Kart Seats
      877-777-8020
      ------------------
      Don't bother PMing me, it doesn't work. Email is best: tim@kartlift.com.

Jim Derrig
      Participant

Juan and Tim are not correct.  The part number for all digital ignition selectra systems is the same.  As long as you have a key start ignition (which you do), it will fit either model of motor.

The 09 uses the same key start ignition as the 08.  It isn’t the 09/08 difference that’s the problem, it is that the analog (box) and digital (key start) systems are not the same.   If you have the key start ignition, it will fit an 08 and an  09 and either motor will run fine with it.

These two ignition systems will fit either engine model just fine with no modifications.  You just can’t swap parts between the two ignition systems.  For example, I recently forgot that little fact and bolted my key-start Selectra onto an older engine without swapping out the old-style stator.  Didn’t run so good.  Three minutes later–2 to swap out the stator and 1 to kick myself in the rear–it ran like a charm.

Tim Koyen
      Participant

Well there you go.  Learn something new everyday.

KartLift Kart Stands
      DeepSeat Kart Seats
      877-777-8020
      ------------------
      Don't bother PMing me, it doesn't work. Email is best: tim@kartlift.com.

Jim Derrig
      Participant

Okay Juan, you got me.  My Leopards that originally came with push-button boxes must be interim models that can accept both stators.

Valdis Sustko
      Participant

Thanks guys. Since I have a key start MY09 I need a spare key start spare as well or it would not be as easy as a quick gasket to gasket swap.

Juan David Gomez
      Participant

Yes, but I think a little modification is needed.

I’ve used an 09 with the old box and I just had to put the old Selettra Ignition (Stater)  I think if you put the 09 Stater on the 08 you need to grind a tap in order for it to fit. I am talking about old one with the starter box. you can also get the old one with the keystart ignition. not sure if modification is needed for that one.

Jim Russell should be able to give you more details. also check the old forum archive.

Juan David Gomez
      Participant

I think the better question is what kind of  “old” spare engine is Valdis getting?

If it is also a key start then both will work fine like Jim explained.

But if it is an analog box you need to swap the stator for one or the other depending what systems you will use.

here is what you need to convert a push button to a keystart:

http://eknclassic.com/viewtopic.php?p=677529&highlight=#677529

If it is an older push button leopard this tread explains the modification needed that I was talking about. the newer push button models accept the keystart stator already:

http://eknclassic.com/viewtopic.php?p=657149&highlight=#657149

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.