Home Forums General Karting Discussion IAME brushes alternative

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tony zambos 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Sean Ranchbari
    Participant

so today I experienced my very first brush failure! I want to make this my last, haha

I’ve been doing some reading, and although the brushes are fairly reasonable, I don’t want to be forking this kind of money over constantly, especially since IAME seems to never have provided a superior product, or Mitsuba for that matter.

I’ve been looking into alternatives to the brushes such as copper/lead mixes and such. This isn’t something that is tech’d right? I know the starter must be in original working condition, or at the very least present, but modifying the brushes won’t fail me from winning my non-existent bid for WKA champion title, right?

For those interested, I’d be casting my own copper/lead brushes and soldering them to the respective connections. Should be able to make 10’s of brushes for the cost of 1 repair kit, hah!

TIA

-Shayan Ranjbari

tony zambos
    Participant

The brushes don’t break or wear out.  It’s the braded lead.  Russell has a good set of brushes.  Get those and when you install the brushes, use silicone caulk on the leads to cut down the vibration.

A harder brush will wear the armature quicker.

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Sean Ranchbari
    Participant

one of my brushes was actually cracked and chipped around the edge, which incidentally is also the one with the broken lead. There was caulk in there from before, however.

I hadn’t thought about the armature but the lead/copper brushes aren’t going to be much harder than the carbon copper ones in there already. The only downside I can think of is that the current ones are a bit self-lubricating whereas the copper and lead mix will not be.

tony zambos
    Participant

Double check your current armature for flaws. A cracked brush seems unusual. Also remember that the replacement brushes come with new springs, or they used to.

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.