Home Forums General Karting Discussion How to remove sheared bumper plug bolt?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Matt Clark 4 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Matt Clark
    Participant

So on my last session of the day today, my bumper started dragging. Getting back to the pits, I saw that the bolt had sheared off inside the chassis (of course) leaving me unable to remove it to replace. Anyone have any ideas how to solve this small, but annoying, problem?

George Young
    Participant

Matt, spray rubber area with wd40, find a socket that just fits inside the tubing  whack the socket hard until the rubber breaks free. Take a clothes hanger and bend a v hook I it  about 1/2″ long. Bend it until it just fits through the rubber hole. Clamp a vice grip to the other end and pull the rubber out. Tip the frame up and the bolt will slide out.

George Y

tony zambos
    Participant

Matt,
    I’m assuming that you have tried and the rubber insert does not move.
    If it doesn’t, try finding a toggle bolt that will fit thru hole left by the bolt. Possibility a 1/8″ and a bolt long enough to get the toggle past the rubber insert. Put a fender washer on the bolt, push the toggle all the way past rubber, then tighten the bolt to pull the rubber. A little WD40 to start with, probably would help.

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Put you air compressor nozzle in the hole and pressurize the frame.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Matt Clark
    Participant

Ended up spraying it with WD40 and using a long metal rod and hammer to beat it into the frame as the bolt wasn’t budging from the middle.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

You could drill into it and weaken it with a long 1/4″ drill bit.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Matt Clark
      Participant

I like that idea, I might give it a shot when I get back after the holidays.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.