Home Forums General Karting Discussion How old is to old?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Gifford 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Art Serna
    Participant

How old is to old of a chassis for a begginer?

Looking to get into karting KT100 (Sportsman) class and there are some local karts for sale that are 2002 – 2005. The ones I am looking at is a CRG heron plus and the other is a Tony kart. Not sure model. Are these to old? What do I need to look for in a older chassis?

tony zambos
    Participant

You’re looking for a chassis that is not bent or cracked. I’d be suspicious of any chassis that has been welded.  Spin the rear axle and listen to the bearings.  Crunching noises means you’ll have to replace them.  With the kart on a stand, grab a front wheel and see if it moves up and down. If it does, you’ll to replace the spindle bearings or kin pins. Turn the steering wheel to see if it turns freely.  Make sure the brake pedal is hard and doesn’t go soft if held down. Hold the brake pedal down and try to turn the axle. It shouldn’t turn. Check the brake pads. There should be about a quarter inch of friction material, not including the bake plate. Check the brake pads for symmetrical wear on both sides of the rotor and that the top of the pads are worn about the same as the bottoms.  Spin the rear axle to check that it’s not bent.  Except for the bent or cracked chassis, everything else is repairable.

If you find a local guy with a good kart at a fair price, ask him if he would help you set started at his track.

Welcome to the sport.  Good luck and have a good time.

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Tom Jazwiecki
    Participant

^^^

Perfect. And yes, welcome.

Art Serna
    Participant

Thanks guys!

I am going to look at one tonight.

Is the CRG Heron 2002. The guys is asking $600 for the roller. It has about 20 race days on it total. It has a ribtect carbon fiber seat and DWT magnesium wheels already upgraded on it. Plus he has updated the brakes.

Seem like a good price compared to what is available local. My only worry is the age of it being a 12 year old chassis.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

There haven’t been too many advancements in the last 25 years. For all the fancy looking stuff it’s still just a steel tube frame and 4 rubber tires. For $600 if it has good brakes buy it and put a new graphics kit on it.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.