Home Forums Shifter Karts honda 125 cylinder question

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris Beebe
      Participant

I have been wondering this for a while and did a quick interwebs search and found nothing.

When it comes time to overhaul my 99 honda 125 motor what do people do to to the jug? I know on my kx125 I would send it out to be re plated and it was good to go. Everyone looked down on having one sleeved but it could be done.

What is the norm for these honda motors?

I would like to think that I will be into the motor before any serious wear ever happens but you just never know what your dealing with until its apart on the work bench!

johnny brooks
      Participant

Generally, in Spec/Stock Honda, re-plating is NOT allowed.

Check with your race organization and find which rules you run under.

andy graham
      Participant

you can buy a new cylinder for about the same price as it costs to have an old one replated and the shipping…check out partzilla.com…I couldn’t beleive it either….

Chris Reinhardt
      Participant

First off, there’s no reason to replate a cylinder unless there’s a score in it, or it’s out of spec, which is unlikely.  The reason they don’t allow replating in the stock Honda class, is that part of the replating process is to clean up the slag left behind from the plating operation.  The “clean up”  would be hard to regulate, and in the right hands, could be a big advantage…  And as stated above, you can get a new cylinder for about the price of a replate, so would you anyway?

Run a fine flex hone through it, wash with soap and water real good, put a fresh top end in, good to do….

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-1-4-Engine-Cylinder-FlexHone-Flex-Hone-320-grit-57mm-/370892008177?hash=item565ae2eaf1&vxp=mtr

CR

Chris Reinhardt

CR2 Motorsports

http://www.cr2motorsports.webs.com/

XV Racing Products

http://www.xvengineering.com/

­­

andy graham
      Participant

Chris–I use a soft brush hone to put a nice cross hatch on the cylinder wall when I rebuild a top end…have you ever seen one of these?  They’re really nice and do a great job….I got one on ebay for about $50, and Wiseco markets one that costs about $80.  Here’s a link:

Chris Beebe
      Participant

I thought that the soft brush hones were frowned upon because on a two stroke with the ports in the cylinder wall it can round the port? Better to use the style with the long fingers?

But I guess if you guys are using them they must work.  I will keep that in mind when It comes time to source one.

Chris Beebe
      Participant

So It can be re plated but if you are bound by the rules, you would need to buy new?

Why would it be against the rules if its re plated? I would think that it would just be easier to spec a factory measurement and be done with it! Makes you wonder?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.