Home Forums Shifter Karts Help!!!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Ace Rossi
      Participant

Was at track helping a buddy to get his cr125 stock moto on the track but as fate would have it, NO SPARK!

Things we tried are:

new plug, changed coil to plug wire, snipped 1/4 inch off same wire and re-tried, changed grounding cable location, checked all wires from CDI plug back to left side of motor

We didn’t have an extra coil or CDI to try but we notice that the CDI on my kart has TWO plugs where his only has one! No other harness or plug on his motor. On his single plug he has five wires. If I remember right he had 2 green, 1 white, 1 blue/white stripe that went nowhere and 1 black/white that went nowhere!

We tried hooking the two striped wires together and that didn’t help either!

he was assured the motor ran before he bought it!

oh and after removing the seat to gain access to the side cover, we also cleaned with Emory paper the little pick-up on the I believe what is referred to as the stator!

still nothing!

Whats next?

Troy V Smith
      Participant

First thing that I would swap would be the coil – I have found that no spark is usually a simple, yet overlooked issue.  Sounds like your CDI is a 99, where his may be an earlier model.  Last thing I would be doing though, is shorting out two wires in which I didn’t know the purpose – good chance of ruining a good CDI.  Wires are color coded for a reason.  The two wires which are not connected, may very likely be to a kill switch, in which case would cause you to have no spark when connected together anyway.  Try a coil swap and find out what the wires are before shorting them.  jmo

We may not be the fastest on the track...but we're having the most fun!
      https://www.facebook.com/wearekarters

Clark Gaynor Sr.
      Participant

Two small wires run to the coil.  One is a ground, the other a female slip on connector.  Check both, but especially the female.   The wire breaks or the connector gets corroded.  At some point, that like wire will bite you in the butt.  Ask me how I know that!!??

Good luck.

Clark Sr.

bo rougeou
      Participant

one or two of those loose wires are for a kill switch.  make sure any errant unused wires don’t touch anything or each other until you sort them all out.

Jeff DeMello
      Participant

check what Clark said. Usually the fix 99.9%

Ace Rossi
      Participant

My friend took his kart and motor to the guys at OGP and they told him that it had the wrong CDI and coil on it!

Apparentlty somebody changed the CDI to maybe gain rpm and ultimately ruined the coil which had been replaced twice prior!

Hopefully after they install the correct parts, my friend will have a good runner!

thanks for your help and comments!

James McMahon
      Participant

Find myself agreeing with Chris here. What the folks at OGP seems odd.
      The coils take a $hit fairly often on the scheme of things, stock or mod compared to CDI’s. Assuming all the wiring is good, I’d suspect coil next, then stator, then perhaps CDI.
      FWIW the aftermarket CDI’s with custom mappings (Vortex, SPI etc) use the stock coil so it all seems a bit strange.

Keep us updated, im curious to see how this goes.

Chris Reinhardt
      Participant

I guess your best option would be too see if you can get your money back, short of that, this is all pretty easy to validate.

If you can get your hands on a manual, a voltmeter and a peak voltage tester start digging in.  The stator assembly needs to put out 100 volts peak and the trigger is about .7 volts peak.   All the way out to the coil connections is also 100 volts peak.  Check the coil for an open/short correct impedance.  Then check your wiring for shorts and opens…  All things are possible, but I have never seen a bad OEM Honda CDI box in my 30+ years of racing, it’s easy enough to swap it with a known good one…

Good luck….

Chris Reinhardt

CR2 Motorsports

http://www.cr2motorsports.webs.com/

XV Racing Products

http://www.xvengineering.com/

­­

Brian Degulis
      Participant

http://www.hrpowersports.com/ These guys will probably have a good used stator cdi and coil for under $200

Brian

Chris Reinhardt
      Participant

Let me guess, they sold him a whole CDI and coil setup?  I smell something…..

Basically, if the stator will plug into the CDI it will work.  I’ve swapped around parts from about 1990 to 1996 or 97, they all work.  Coils, I’ve used just about any year with just about any ignition, they all work.

Clark’s suggestion is probably number 1 to check, bad coil or cap/wire number 2, open or shorted wire in the harness number 3, and bad stator :( number 4.

To date, I have never seen a bad CDI on a Honda….

Chris Reinhardt

CR2 Motorsports

http://www.cr2motorsports.webs.com/

XV Racing Products

http://www.xvengineering.com/

­­

Ace Rossi
      Participant

My buddy received the estimate today and it needs a CDI, a coil and a stator which they said it was

Fried! Add on two hours labor and the bill is almost $800.00.

they advised not having it done because there could be more wrong inside that they haven’t checkered  because they weren’t told to do so.

now the plan my buddy has is to get his money back and return the motor to the seller because he he said it was freshly rebuilt by OGP!

Robert Lawson
      Participant

Ace,

Your last remark is the best option. That is…. IF the guy will refund his $$$$.

As for the problem, I’ll throw my .02 in too.

There is a very good chance the CDI is junk if someone turned the engine over vigorously with no plug in the boot to ground it. I’ve seen this happen, stupid brother! Attempting to pump fuel to the carb he hit it with the starter, with no plug. When I told him he F***ed up he inserted a plug and BBBzzzzzzuuTTT!!!!

That box was LOADED with juice, and it never sparked again.

He has since been on a PVL with no issues. ;)

RPM

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.