Home Forums Tech Talk help with mikuni carb

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Greg Lindahl 4 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

michael smith
    Participant

Hi guys, i bought an old mikuni carb and the cap that is normally threaded on every other one ive ever seen, is not.

has anyone dealt with this, and what is the fix?

im referring to the cap where the throttle cable goes into.

thanks

michael smith
    Participant

hi,no one else has dealt with this?

Steen Carstensen
    Participant

Maybe if you reformulated your question, you would get more responds. You are not making it clear what your problem really is, other than the fact that the cap it not threaded on ???

michael smith
    Participant

thanks for the response. in this image, you can see the hole is threaded. on my carb, it is not.

how are you guys dealing with thiss?

http://mtadistributing.com/Portals/0/images/Tools/Motion%20Pro/Carb/MikuniCarb-full.jpg

Steen Carstensen
    Participant

I would simply thread the cap to fit which ever fitting you intend to screw in there; you may have to plug and re thread to make it all work. That said, lots of carb run without a threaded hole in the cap, so your choice.

michael smith
    Participant

thank you a lot for that information. that gives me multiple options.

do you mind if I ask how the carbs that run without the threaded in the cap do it? ie, I see they all have a fitting at the cap. what type of fitting allows a non threaded cap.

thanks a bunch

Steen Carstensen
    Participant

<p>The cap will have a hole that matches the fitting on the throttle cable and a rubber boot that fit over the cap. Others, like the Dellorto carb, will have an adjustable threaded fitting that the end of the throttle cable slides into, and again a rubber boot to close it off.</p>

Greg Lindahl
    Participant

Given that the carb you’re showing has a round slide and most of us use “flat slide” carb’s, there’s not much expertise here.

If air is allowed to leak through this hole, it MAY cause running issues, especially at idle and start up.

Simply putting “an old Mikuni” carb’ on your engine may create more issues than it solves.  Putting the carb’ on that this forum’s participants use is the best way to extract expertise from this group.

My $0.02, FWIW.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.