Home Forums General Karting Discussion help understanding Aim gps with mychron 4

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sebastian Sarmiento 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I was told that the Aim GPS taps right into the Mychron 4. Then I was told by someone else that a special module is needed.

Can somebody clarify this for me please?. Also I have a Mychron 3 gold and someone said that the map tracking it is like a GPS but not as accurate and that also I would need the G sensors.

I don’t mean to make it even more complicated, but I would like to see in the computer, besides my lines, the G forces I’m pulling on turns. How can I accomplish this.

Thanks in advance!!

I wish you twice as much of whatever you wish for me. : )

tony zambos
    Participant

Sebastian,
    The someone else is right. The GPS05 module connects to a powered data hub that is sold with the GPS module. The data hub then connects to the M4.
    http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/backlite/media/schema_di_collegamento_mychron4_zps47522373.gif.html
    http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n546/backlite/schema_di_collegamento_mychron4_zps47522373.gif
    Not quite sure what you’re looking for here. The M3/Gold does have a lateral accelerometer. To get a lateral accelerometer on an M4 you would need to purchase an E-Box. IMO, if you’re getting the GPS module, getting an E-Box to go with it is not necessary. You should more than enough data from the GPS.

When viewing your M3/Gold in Race Studio, enable LatAcc under MEASURES table on the Measures Graph. With a GPS module, enable the GPS_LatAcc measurement.

Hope this helps a bit

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

thank Tony,

Your explanations are always great!!!This helps a lot!!!

Thanks man!! Just ordered a new M4 , A GPS (comes with dual data hub) and a Data key.

That should be more than enough for what I need right now.

Thanks again!!

Matt Dixon
    Participant

Now crack open a beer and start learning…

https://www.youtube.com/user/aimdata

94y

Sebastian Sarmiento
      Participant

Holly Molly, there are plenty of vids to watch, I may crack more than one lol. Thanks Matt.

Christian Fox
    Participant

Sebastien, you can plug the GPS directly in to the Mychron 4 and not even use the data hub. The downside to this is you nuke the 9 volt battery in the Mychron very quickly, whereas the data hub method requires you to connect to an outside battery. I’m paranoid about running anything off of my kart’s battery, so I just use the direct plug-in method and carry a bunch of extra 9 volt batteries around in my toolbox. Tony’s example really is the best; the data hub is handy to have and makes downloading data and uploading track maps much easier. This winter I’m going to figure out a way to mount an RC car battery somewhere to power it. Most people claim it’s fine to run off of the kart’s battery, but I’ve had a few battery related issues and don’t want to take a chance.

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Thanks all,

Christian that means that the first guy wasn’t that far off. Interesting…. I found these ones, they last 3-5 years and are small enough, what do you think? Also not that expensive.

Let’s see what does the fox say…lol, no disrespect intended. Just kidding

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131376018931?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Reading more I realized that the majority of people doesn’t want to hook this up to a 12v battery, especially (if you are running a TAG), the starter battery.

So far it seems that mostly people run it off the 9v battery in the Mychron, but they use better or higher in mAh batteries. Like for example the one below, which has 1,200mAh capacity

http://www.batterymart.com/p-bat-u9vl-fp.html

Most of the Duracell 9v batteries have about 560 mAh. 150% more capacity sounds pretty good… May be the way to go, although the most comfortable option, may not be the cheapest one on the long run. (about $8 each when a mighty max will last 3-5 years and it will cost $21).

I guess, like most of everything, it comes to preferences and the good thing is that either way you can always have a plan B if the battery dies at the wrong moment.

Thank you all for helping me understand the basics of this set-up!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.