Home Forums TaG Rotax Max Help tuning Rotax/Evo kit for road racing

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sean S
      Participant

Hey guys,

I’m putting this post out for a buddy who isn’t really active on the forums, so I said I would try to help him out in getting him a starting tune setup. He is mainly running road race courses now with a 2014 Birel/2013 Rotax and just purchased the new Evo kit at the end of last year. He has been having problems off of the line with the angled Le Mans style starts. It seems to take off out of the hole and then bogs down, by then everyone is 1/2 way down the straight. Then he seems to be having an issue pulling revs down the straight. We were at Grattan this past weekend and ran similar gears to other guys there (I believe 67-69 rear) and said he just hit 11,000rpm.

Forgive me if something is worded incorrectly… He has tried changing the two settings on the Evo kit by leaving the “ground wire” attached and also disconnected. He also mentioned that he talked with a guy from a well known kart shop and told him to change to a certain needle (for road racing) when we went to Mid-Ohio, along with the accompanying jets (not sure on exact size for jets). He just changed to a brand new clutch and cleans the clutch and drum every few sessions. He did mention that the engine has close to 20 hours on it, so could it just be tired? It seems like carburetion to me. Too much fuel, not getting out of the hole and not burning efficiently down the straight?

Does anyone have a baseline tuning setup or recommendations to get him started? I can call, text or relay any information. The main tracks are Grattan, Mid-Ohio, Michigan International Speedway, MRP, soon to be Gingerman, National Corvette Museum and Daytona if I can talk him into it.

Thanks in advance

Tony Kart / Leopard

Robert Lawson
      Participant

Sean,

My brother Kenny was supposed to rent a TAG ride from LAD at M-O last month and was told he would have to adjust the exhaust valve/disc???? He didn’t get to run the kart because it rained but I’m sure someone will be able to shed some light on this for you……err…for Dave!

Good Luck,

RPM

Sean S
      Participant

Yep, it’s for Dave! He said that with the new Evo kit there is no adjusting of the power valve. It’s automatic adjusted through the new kit and depends on how you have that ground wire attached (on or off).

And yes, that was a bummer that your brother couldn’t run the kart at M-O. It was REALLY slick, so I can understand why they wouldn’t want it on the track.

Sean

Tony Kart / Leopard

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.