Home Forums Shifter Karts HELP! Kart damaged need advice

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Jeff Fitzgerald
      Participant

Newbie here. Just acquired a shifter kart from a buddy who used to run it in JAX florida. The tag on the frame says it is a CRG Daytona Heron, CIR-ICA ICC, 99-02 03  2793. It has a KX125 motor on it.

Kart runs great but long story short kart came off trailer while being hauled and hit a guardrail. Frame is bent on right front where it hit. Right front wheel is bent back due to frame being bent. I can post pics if this forum allows. I need advice on if this can be fixed or should I be looking for another used frame to bolt everything back on to?

All the research I have done on this frame it seems to be an older model that is not made anymore. I am just getting started and hate to have to sink a bunch of money into a frame, would prefer to find a used one or get this one repaired.

Any advice on this frame?

Thanks,Jeff

Michael Taksa
      Participant

See if this one can be straightened.  Post WTB in chassis, you may find someone with this exact kart sitting in a garage, but not likely.  Your chassis is 14 years old, may be better off getting a used shifter roller that is newer.  But since you have a KX and that means you race recreationaly, just straighten the frame and keep running it.

Jeff Fitzgerald
      Participant

Thanks for the reply Michael I will post on the other board and see if I can get it straightened. You are right it will just be for recreation so if it isn’t perfect that is OK.

Are the KX engines not competitive?

Jeff

Michael Taksa
      Participant

KX 125 was competitive somewhat…. I ran one for a few races and liked it, it was competitive back in the era your kart ran it’s first few years. Back then all moto motors where somewhat modded and ran together, now the wrold has changed and the classes are Stock Honda dominated with some ICC’s, KX125 is not allowed to run with Stock Honda and will probably not be very competitive agaist ICC, it’s right inbetween.

Brian Degulis
      Participant

There is at least a chance that a good fab shop can straighten your frame but you have to post a pic to get reasonable answers.

Brian

Chris Reinhardt
      Participant

Post some pics so we can get a better idea of what you have.

The Heron chassis became the Road Rebel I believe…..  Most all that 40mm axle, 17mm front axle, 8mm king pin bolt should transfer to a newer CRG Road Rebel.   You might be better off finding an older Road Rebel chassis, and break your chassis down for spares….

CR

Chris Reinhardt

CR2 Motorsports

http://www.cr2motorsports.webs.com/

XV Racing Products

http://www.xvengineering.com/

­­

Jeff Fitzgerald
      Participant

Thanks for all the tips. I live near Charlotte NC and there is a track, GoPro Motorplex that hosts races. I may take it up there and have them take a look. I do know of a couple local places that build frames, mini dragsters, etc. that I may see if they can fix it.

I do have the ability to strip it and ship the frame via motor freight anywhere in the country through my work so maybe that is an option. I will post some pics after I get home tonight.

Thanks so much for all the tips! Yall are awesome. I really want to get this fixed. Just glad no one was hurt when this thing went airborne off the trailer.

Jeff

Larry Andrews
      Participant

Most body shops with a frame jig can straighten the frame – the real question regards the amount of damage that has to be done bending the metal back to get the frame straight again.  The metal can only bend so far before it weakens significantly and the front wheel isn’t someplace you want to risk having a sudden stress fracture at.

Brian Degulis
      Participant

No way that’s worth trying to repair. Your much better off getting another frame or roller.

Brian

Chris Reinhardt
      Participant

^+1

Generally speaking, if you can “SEE” where it’s bent with your eye, it’s trash…

CR

Chris Reinhardt

CR2 Motorsports

http://www.cr2motorsports.webs.com/

XV Racing Products

http://www.xvengineering.com/

­­

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.