Home Forums General Karting Discussion Helmet Question

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Ambrose Buldo
      Participant

I need to get a new SA rated Helmet for my Chump and Lemons Racing. An SA2010 helmet is OK, as I typicially replace helmet before they expire. I was using a Scorpion Motor Cycle helmet for Karting, but seems a little heavy. My neck is always challanged in a kart, every little bit helps. Anyone have any experiance in using the GForce Carbon Fiber Helmet? It seems to be the lightest helmet in the sub $400 price range. Also looking for helmet to have minimial material in the chin area, as helmets with chin spoilers tend to interfer with my Leatt Neck Brace and imact my ability to get my head down and look down track.
      http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/GFORCECarbonFiberHelmet/FullFaceHelmets

Thank you in advance for your input.

Chuck hurlbert
      Participant

Interested as well…

TJ Koyen

What’s the actual weight of the G-Force carbon helmet Ambrose? I’ve weighed quite a few helmets that come through my shop but never have had one of those in.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
      Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
      www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
      www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Walt Gifford
      Participant

Is that real carbon fiber for $349? Must be just one thin layer. Says it’s 48 ounces. Probably be allot lighter if you sand that thick clear coat off of it.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
      Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
      Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
      41 years karting experience

Ambrose Buldo
      Participant

According to this site http://www.racinghelmetguide.com/auto-helmet-weights.html
      it says 3.2 lbs. It lists helmet as Carbon Composite. I could care less about the Carbon Fiber look.

Rob Kozakowski
      Participant

I had a G-Force for a little while, but a different model.

My opinion – the low prices reflect the quality – I honestly wouldn’t recommend them for kart racing, or any motorsport other than autocross or real slow drag racing.  I’d never wear one in wheel-to-wheel competition again.

The problem I had was that the padding inside seems “too” soft – I’m guessing it’s probably a very cheap, low density foam material.  What fit well when I bought it, quickly got compressed through (minimal) use to the point that the thing was loose enough that I didn’t feel safe in the event that I might go upside down.

If you want a better quality helmet from that website list in that lower price range, I’d look at the HJC AR-10.  I got one from Ted Hamilton (you can probably pm him – he’ll definitely help you out).  It’s still on the heavier side, compared to the mid-higher end Arai, Bell, etc., but the price is a lot lower, while still retaining good quality and fit.

Rob Kozakowski
      Participant

Oddly enough, if you read what they say on that website about the G-Force helmets, they even say they are geared toward autocross and drag racing.

My recommendation – find something else.

TJ Koyen

At 3.2 pounds, the “carbon” G-Force weighs the same as the non-carbon Arai SK-6, for what it’s worth.

The G-Force helmets are a budget helmet, which is noticeable in the padding and hardware. As Walt mentioned, a lot of these “carbon” helmets are only 1-layer of carbon with fiberglass underneath and really aren’t a lot lighter than a normal helmet.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
      Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
      www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
      www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Brian Degulis
      Participant

I’ve used lots of diffrent helmets over the years I thought they were all OK. When I got into cars I bought a G force because it was cheap. That was the first helmet I thought was awful, Bad fit bad padding bad sound insulation bad everything. I replaced it with an Arai GP5. Much better in all respects.

Brian

Curtis Cooksey
      Participant

I question the weights on the racing helmet guide. I just weighed an Arai SK-6 at 3.40 lbs. and a Bell M4 at 3.30 lbs. Helmet weights vary from helmet to helmet. The Bell M4 is a good light SA rated helmet without a chin spoiler for under 400. The quality on Arai helmets is impressive.

Joshua Guiher
      Participant

I like my M4 and don’t think it is too heavy for a sub $400 helmet.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.