Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Bryan Williams
      Participant

What do people use to help protect and clean their decals. Is there something that can remove tire marks from side pods. Just got new graphics and I want to help keep them looking good, Thanks

TJ Koyen

WD-40 does a decent job for most rubber marks. For the heavier rubber scuffs, some carb cleaner and a razor blade is the trick. Carb cleaner can make the clear on the graphics a bit brittle if you go overboard with it, but it’ll take any rubber scuff off.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
      Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
      www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
      www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Daniel White
      Participant

I’ve heard using WD-40 on the pods before you go out will keep tire marks from sticking, but I always forget to do that.

I’ve used Goof Off to clean marks, and it works extremely well. It may take a while–and you should use cover your nose if you are working with it for extended periods–but I have been able to get my stickers looking practically brand new.

Joshua Guiher
      Participant

Anyone ever try those magic eraser things? Might work.

Personally, after last year I just stripped all of the decals off of my kart. After 2-3 races you couldn’t read them anyways.

Vince Fernandez
      Participant

I use extra fine steel wool, household cleaner, and a lot of elbow grease.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
      Participant

Bryan, here’s a link      http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Helicopter-Tape-Save-Your-Kart-Graphics-12-Wide-any-Length-/111643496998?hash=item19fe789226&vxp=mtr

All you’ve gotta do is not get too closed to me, give me more room at the pit turn, horse shoe turn, and stay behind me the whole time

That way you wont have to worry about those cute graphics. Lol  Fast Frreddy.  :)

No, with all kidding aside, yeah I would use brake cleaner, carb cleaner or a rag with gasoline and rub on it a little bit, try not to over do it, just like TJ said, or else it will remove the clear coat and part of the color.

There is also a product out there designed to protect graphics, I think it’s called helicopter tape (clear tape ) Last time I checked on ebay, from a guy down in Orange county Cali. Hope that helps, buddy

P.S. The only graphics you’ll have to worry about with me is your front bumper ones, that’s of course if you get closed enough. Lol Sorry.  :) FastFreddy

Kirt Burcroff
      Participant

Helicopter tape on the side pods works well for us. When it gets all scuffed up just replace the clear.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O69U56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Brock Weiss
      Participant

I kinda do the same thing as TJ.

I use goo-off first which does extremely well with minor scuff marks.

For more of the caked on tire marks I take a really sharp pocket knife and gently scrape it off.

Then I use either WD-40 or MAXIM “Sc1 clear coat” or MOTUL “shine and go clear coat” to give the graphics a nice shine and a little clear coat protection.

I have had no problems getting even the toughest of tire marks off

Keith Buffo
      Participant

I’ve had good luck with white wall cleaner. I’ve had better luck with black body work.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.