Home Forums General Karting Discussion GoPro vs. SmartyCam

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  brian downing 5 years ago.

• Author

Joshua Guiher
    Participant

Was searching through and found a recent discussion on cameras, but no one talked about the SmartyCam. I want to buy a camera for this upcoming year and have it narrowed down between the new Hero 3+ Black and a SmartyCam. Trying to figure out what is best for me.

FWIW, this will be my first year karting, so I am curious if I will learn things with the SmartyCam.

Thanks.

Brandon Ryan
    Participant

I actually just looked the SmartyCam for this thread. While it does look to be an awesome tool, I would go with a GoPro, better yet the 3 GoPro’s you could buy for one SmartyCam.

Place them on your kart in locations where you can see what you are doing while you race, and you can edit them side/side to see where improvements can be made, and why. Also you will be able to develope better form, and see where it needs to be tweaked.

You could buy 3 GoPro 3 Silver editions, and all mounts required, (I suggest Helmet, Front fairing and front bumper) for the price of 1 SmartyCam. Granted you dont get the telemetry but if you have a mychron system you don’t need it.

Also you can buy the black, but i don’t feel there is enough advatage over the silver to warrant the extra price, I have owned both.

Also I would set them up to where the Helmet catches your driving, the front fairing catches your feet, and the front bumper catches your seat position (facing you not the track).

Again only my advice, and if some of my terminology is incorrect, I do not race karts, neither do I own one, yet.  But this is what we did in our SCCA cars, and we saw vast improvements because we were able to see where they needed to be made. I have to assume, purely ignorant to kart racing, that this theory would work the same.

Hope this helps,

Brandon

Kurt Mathewson
    Participant

I agree with Brandon the GoPro 3 is a tremendous value and provides great picture quality. Unfortunately both Rotax and SKUSA have limited the camera mounts to the front fairing (GoPro) and attached to the seat post (SmartyCam). This really limits the views. I really enjoyed seeing some of the creative angles some people used. I guess cameras getting knocked off became somewhat of a problem. (?)

Brandon Ryan
    Participant

Kurt I did not know that about the mounting locations. But I presume my theory would be perfect for practice and technique development, more so than racing.

Joshua Guiher
    Participant

I think for non-race day practice I can mount it as Brandon said. What kind of mount do I need for putting it on the fairing and/or the radiator?

Brandon Ryan
    Participant

Ideally you can make your own, but I believe people buy the handle bar mount, and only use the part that the gopro mounts to, and then mount the bottom directly to the fairing.

My description is poor, but if you google image search GoPro Hero 3 Handlebar mount, it will make complete sense.

Brandon Ryan
    Participant

Mounting to the radiator is a different story, I have no idea how you would do that.

Matt Dixon
    Participant

This is filmed with an old GoPro.

http://youtu.be/8WDpQlKAIBY

you just need a Mychron with GPS and $20 software. To get the same effect and then you can use the GoPro for everything else you would want too…

94y

Joshua Guiher
    Participant

Thanks Matt.

Didn’t know software like that existed.

Brandon Ryan
    Participant

Matt what software was used in that video?

tony zambos
    Participant

The post for the video says RaceRender 2.7.3.  A couple minor of things, but you should be aware of.  You will have to export your logger data.  The documentation is good and available on the RR web site. See http://racerender.com/RR2/Features.html. For the option to display the track map, you will need a GPS unit. Pay attention to the bottom of the web page for the output formats.  No problem for a pc usable type output, but if you have a pc running earlier than Win7, but will not be able to create an MPEG (Mac) formatted file. But there is software available to do that.  The time it take to generate a video will depend on your pc.  For me, a thirty minute vid takes 4-6 hours.  Something for your pc to do while you’re at work or asleep.

For mounting to your fairing, use the top half of the roll bar mount. Looks the same as the  handle bar mount, but thicker material.

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Matt Dixon
    Participant

Yes Tony nailed it on the head.

You first download the session to Race Studio 2 free Aim software, then use Race render to overlay.

94y

Brandon Ryan
    Participant

Tony and Matt, thank you guys. I am in the same boat as the OP, so your answers are helping me as well.

brian downing
    Participant

The SmartyCam is expensive, yes. I use both as I bought my GoPro originally to record Moto-X, then surfing (boogie board), and finally karting. Thrilled with the recordings, I started watching the karting videos on youtube and came across the SmartCam.
    ith the accelerometer, GPS, and the SmartyCam software you combine the Mychron with the SmartCam and watch all telemetry overlaid on the video. The GPS lets you skip any beacon setup as well as define your own points, in addition to simple lap  times. You can make your own splits and watch the straightaway times, and any other sections you wish to define and monitor.
    Especially since this is your first year, you need a mychron and a camera. I recommend paying up for the smartycam and skip the gopro unless you need it for other activities.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.