Home Forums General Karting Discussion Generator Size to Use at theTrack

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Pachon 5 years ago.

• Author

Jim Howe
    Participant

I will be buying a generator this winter to take to the track in 2014 with my two-kart team. I may need to run lights in the trailer (we run some night races), a computer, an occasional fan, and what-not.

Based on that, what size generator should I be looking at: 500w, 1000w, 2000w, or bigger? What sizes are you all running? Any particular brands/types/etc. you recommend or think I should avoid? Any particular features I should look for? Looking to spend under $1,000.

Thanks in advance!

Joshua Guiher
    Participant

I’d rather have a quiet generator that I had to only use one tool at a time on then be the guy/team with the noisy one that could power the entire track.

Anonymous

Honda,Super quiet always starts.1000w

Wade Wishneski
    Participant

Yamaha eu2000i. I have two of them that are compatible with one another for a combined 4000w (actually/technically a little less). You can get both for about $2000 or $1000 each. I use one the majority of the time for my 24ft enclosed trailer with 3 lights, radio etc. If I need A/C or compressor I use both. They are QUIET!!!! One pull, start right up!

As Jim said, the Honda compact generators are a good bet as well. Quiet & Reliable.

Your needs will be based upon voltage & watt needs. Do your electrical homework and you’ll be fine.

WW

Mark Erpelding
    Participant

I have a Honda 2000 is (inverted)  it runs whole trailer 6-15″ double bulb florscent.  Stereo with amp, 12 v tv. 12 v.pump on sink.  If I needed I would buy another 2000is companion then parallel them if I had air conditioning or a large draw compressor…   If I had room I would have bought a 3000 I    I have nitrogen so I don’t use a compressor..   Go to generator websites they will tell you how to do the math and see how much wattage you will need..  Do a search on Daylister it finds objects on craigs list all over the country..  I paid $650.00 for my 2000 with 3 hours on it.

We spend our money on Racin, Whiskey and Women.... The rest we waste....

Wade Wishneski
    Participant

Johnny is spot on with the horrible gas today. This is why I went the Yamaha eu2000i route, it has a shut off valve and you can run the carb out of fuel. Also, one individual can move the generator.

WW

Andrew Pachon
    Participant

Great info everyone. I have been contemplating a generator for track use.  Time to research Yamahas and Hondas.

~Andy

johnny brooks
    Participant

+1 for Honda.

Ohm’s Law – volts X amps = watts

Is the track your only use? Does your house lose power during storms?

Honda 1000 is lightweight, quiet and will power your lights, computer & fan.

Honda 2000 is 47 lbs. and can handle a small window A/C unit as well.

I have the Honda 3000 (2800 watts) and it runs my rooftop RV style A/C (13,500 BTU) and lights, etc.  Just have to cut the A/C off to run the air compressor. It weighs 125 lbs. and is on wheels.

For power outages it runs my fridge, Plasma TV, window A/C, and a few lamps.

The only problem I’ve ever had is bad gas…..today’s crap gas with ethanol goes bad way too quick. Get in the habit of running your gen every few weeks, and use Sta-bil.

If storage is necessary, run the thing outta gas & squirt a little oil in the cylinder.

Ethanol is for drinkin!

Ray Mcik
    Participant

The only problem I’ve ever had is bad gas…..today’s crap gas with ethanol goes bad way too quick. Get in the habit of running your gen every few weeks, and use Sta-bil. If storage is necessary, run the thing outta gas & squirt a little oil in the cylinder. Ethanol is for drinkin!

Simple solution for any gas powered equipment that sits for long periods between uses is to use Marine gas or buy ethanol free gas… cost a little more but you will not have carb issues ,

So if you have Marina that sells gas to boats or a ethanol free gas station get a few gallon and use that.

List of Ethanol free gas stations..

http://pure-gas.org/?stateprov=FL

http://www.fuel-testers.com/find_ethanol_free_gasoline.html

http://www.gasbuddy.com/  <— has a Andriod /Iphone app available

http://pure-gas.org/?stateprov=FL

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.