Home Forums Road Racing Gearing help Daytona

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Bob Wimmer 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author

Jeff Salak
    Participant

Will be running an X30 in IAME Sprint at Daytona. Anyone help with gearing? I was told 16/76. I’m thinking more like 16/70.

Thanks Jeff

Tim Landon
    Participant

Good luck. Gearing help is non existent on this site.  Big secrets I quess.

Ian Krueger
    Participant

yeah as you said its a good idea you were thinking about gearing it a 16/70 forstarters,  because For new tracks I like to shoot for a too low of a gear ratio, and then work into it. Id rather be on the clutch more, than be maxing out the engine the whole time. then from there, work into the 16/76 (figuratively). best of luck wish i could help further, i havent raced there yet

WKA sprint

Ian Krueger
    Participant

also if running a chain drive, id definitly recommend to bring quite a few spares, and put on a brand spanking chain for the final race. because that track is brutal on driveline

WKA sprint

Jeff Wesell
    Participant

Sorry on delay of response as I was at PRI Show this past week.

Our standard starting point for Daytona (with our Leopards) was
    16-73.  We’d adjust as needed up or down a few teeth pending wind direction and what would benefit me the most for the long straight and finish line shoot out in the tri-oval.  Hope this helps you on the X-30.   Race Safe. Good Luck and Have FUN at Daytona!  If you ever need additional gearing setups (TaG) for most of the RR tracks or race/setup suggestions. feel free to reach out to me at Streeter.  (262) 457-5018 or email me at jeffw@ghilaser.com

Streeter Super Stands
    "Roll with The Best!"
    streetersupertands.com

Bob Wimmer
    Participant

I agree with Jeff’s recommendation  to start with a 73. Additionally, you need to consider your height. I’m 6-2 and always seem to need one more tooth than shorter drivers or I risk loosing the draft. Also be very gentle on the clutch in practice. With such a tall gear, you can wear one out in 2 or 3 aggressive starts. Save those for the race.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.