Home Forums General Karting Discussion FWT Rotax Event Format

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Bill Wright
      Participant

Thanks to my friends at EKN for posting the recent release of the TENTATIVE 2014 FWT information. You can see that detail HERE

One of the proposals concerns the 2014 FWT Rotax program, and involves a potential change to the daily format of the Rotax program.

Remember, this discussion is about the FWT ROTAX program, only.

Remember also that the only discussion is to run either the format we’ve been using for several years, or change to the new format as proposed in the TENTATIVE information.

So, as much as I appreciate your enthusiasm for other formats, please limit your comments here to this one proposal. The purpose of this post is not to discuss other potential formats, only to debate the merits of the one potential change I am proposing.

For the past several years the format has been that on Friday we hold two separate qualifying sessions, one for Sunday and one for Saturday. Then, on both Saturday and Sunday, if we have more than the allowed number of karts that can run in one race (number of karts dependent on the length of the track)  a Last Chance Qualifier, a Prefinal, a Final, and, if 12 or more don’t make it into the Prefinal, a Consolation Final. Remember, that is both Saturday and Sunday, a “double-race-weekend”.

The proposal is that we eliminate the Last Chance Qualifier. Instead, if we have more than the allowed number of karts that can run in one race, we place all the competitors into two separate Prefinals, and the top X from each Prefinal transfer to the Final.

We would still hold a Consolation Final if more than 12 don’t make it into the Final.

The purpose is to make a change of format, simply to do something different, without adding time to an already overburdened schedule, and without reducing the number of laps provided for the competitors.

The double-race-weekend and large amount of seat time are hallmarks of FWT. I don’t want to lose either of those attributes.

Again, please limit your comments to the merits of the proposed format. Do not propose alternate formats. That is for another post!!

Flame away……………

John Savage
      Participant

The purpose is to make a change of format, simply to do something different, without adding time………

Bill, being different does not make it better, how about a poll on here with a number of options

Jetting and Kart Set-up Software

http://www.rotaxjetting.com

Bill Wright
      Participant

Hi John,

Thanks for the comments.

I want to again emphasize that this PROPOSAL is for the FWT Rotax events format, ONLY!

The format I’ve PROPOSED for the 2014 FWT Rotax events is the same format as one currently used in the Final Phase of the 2013 European CIK Championships. Not sure why they changed their format, but they did.

Since the race-day-format we’ve used at FWT for the past several years is the format formerly used in the Final Phase of the European CIK Championships I thought I should consider adopting their new format.

However, I don’t have to follow their format. I was just suggesting that it could make things more interesting, without adding to an already overburdened schedule, and without reducing the number of laps FWT competitors get during an event-weekend.

So far I’ve only received two private comments, both pointing out that this format could see someone make it to the pre-finals, but not the final.

Again, I don’t want to see any comments here suggesting other formats. I’m only interested in hearing comments related to the implementation of the PROPOSED format.

As with all the TENTATIVE information I will use these comments to make a final decision for the release of the OFFICIAL information, no later than Oct. 1.

THANKS !!

Bill Wright
      Participant

One aspect I forgot to mention is that in the PROPOSED FWT Rotax format, everyone who makes it into the final would have the same number of laps on their tires.

In the previous/current FWT Rotax format, if you had a bad qualifying and had to run the SCR/LCQ, you would have one additional heat cycle and 8-10 more laps on your tires than everyone else.

So for someone who has a problem in qualifying the PROPOSED FWT Rotax format would be a big help in getting back to the front in the final.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.