Home Forums General Karting Discussion Fuel containers and mixing

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  brian downing 5 years ago.

• Author

Dustin McGrew
    Participant

This coming season will be my first year karting.. so I’m still buying all of the supplies/tools/equipment that I’ll need. I was curious what kind of containers you all use for storing and mixing your fuel. Just from doing some Google searches I’ve seen everything from using a simple beaker to some specialized container made just for 2 stroke engine fuel/oil mixing, but they weren’t really karting specific.

1. Are there any nifty things out there that make mixing gas and oil easier?

2. For storing your fuel do you have one container that is strictly just for gasoline, and another separate container for oil/gas mixture?

Thanks!

Brian Wilson
    Participant

Any motorcycle or karting shop will have a fuel/oil mixing ratio cup or container. For fuel, I use two of the 5 gallon VP fuel jugs. One is for fuel only, the other is for mixed fuel. I try to guesstimate how many gallons I’m going to use the week, pour the oil in and then add that many gallons of fuel……sometimes this will go on top of a gallon or so of premix that was left over. If I need extra fuel for the weekend, I have the spare 5 gallon jug full, if it doesn’t get used, it goes into the truck or car after the weekend.

Mike Clark
    Participant

Dustin,

I am pretty new to all of this so take it with that in mind. We bought a Scribner jug so it would not be confused with the regular gas can. It has a hose and is square. Part of choosing that brand was you can get replacement parts. Clear jugs are not best for storing fuel if sun light hits them.

You can get a normal fuel jug pretty cheap. One approach is to get two smaller 2.5 gal fuel jugs as they are lighter and you can buy less at once. You can of course buy the bigger jug and fill it less and still have the option to have 5 gallons if needed.

1. Are there any nifty things out there that make mixing gas and oil easier?

Going metric can help for some ratios. Getting a ratio-rite is not a bad thing. Either way making a chart for you ratio will help prevent math errors.

2. For storing your fuel do you have one container that is strictly just for gasoline, and another separate container for oil/gas mixture?

Trying not to store fuel is best. We try never buy and mix more than we are going to use. There is a pump for the spec gas required at the track in our case.

Although we never have fuel issues we are going to step up the care we take in 2014. That includes filtration out of the pump as part of trying to maintain the cleanest possible fuel supply.

Matt Dixon
    Participant

Save the tin 5 gal container of race gas, mark it mixed and store your fuel in it.

If you store your fuel in the plastic jug put it on a 2×4 piece of wood not the concrete floor of your garage.

Try to just mix as much as you are going to use.

Get a Ratio Right for mixing.

Easy

94y

James McMahon
    Participant

Ideally long term storage should be in sealed metal cans with the appropriate lining. The big plastic racing jugs you see from VP and so on are porous and will leak the good stuff out of your fuel if you leave it in there long term. They are really just meant for sake of convenience at the track.

Thats not to say lots of people dont keep it stored in porous plastic containers, but given a choice use an appropriate container
    I usually keep original fuel drums for a while until the spout starts to leak and store my fuel in those, off the floor as pointed out.

brian downing
    Participant

I have two 5 gallon “safety” cans, for example see this one.
    I keep 93 Octane pump fuel in one and track spec, race fuel in the other.
    They’re pricey but worth it. In total I have three and they’ve lasted me nearly 20 years.

A ratio rite is indispensable for accurately measuring various ratios and volumes quickly.

One of the 5 gallon square jugs (any brand that sells spares) for each type of fuel to be mixed.

So, I for example have two safety cans, and two jugs.

The fuel stored in the safety cans, if kept near full and in a cool, dark,dry place will last quite a while.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.