Home Forums Shifter Karts Front porch extension

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Nazeer Khanani
      Participant

Guys, new to the forum. Looking at getting into a shifter. I’m tall and skinny at 6’0″ and 170 lbs. problem is I have long legs and sitting in a CRG road rebel the other day my knees just clear the steering wheel and shifter with pedals all the way forward. I know about the extension, my question is will it dramatically affect the kart? I know weight will increase and shift the balance forward, but is it significant? Or should I just learn to live with the cramped conditions.

Steen Carstensen
      Participant

I am much the same size and fit perfectly well in the same kart. Are you sure the seat is in the right position. Go to CRG website and check out their set up guide, that will give you the measurements for seat install. Also the pedal can be moved forward on the chassis without the porch extension.

Nazeer Khanani
      Participant

The pedals were at the max setting. Not sure about the seat, does it have adjustability? I was told it was mounted all the way back.

Steen Carstensen
      Participant

Here is a link to CRG’s manual, go the the “seat position” page and check those measurements against what you have on your kart.

http://www.kartcrg.com/pdf/crg_manual_en.pdf

Jason Bane
      Participant

I’m 6’1″, 195lbs with long legs and fit in a CRG Road Rebel. It’s tight, but I have gotten used to it. I actually purchased a front porch extention, but once I installed it and sat in the kart it just did not feel right.  My heels were moved higher, because they had to go on top of the front rail, and it moved the bodywork and everything else forward. I ended up getting rid of the front porch.  Add around 1.5cm to the dimensions listed in the CRG manual linked above for 125cc classes, and that is right where my seat would end up.  My current DR kart the seat is real close to that as well, same amount of legroom.  With your weight, I’m guessing you would have to add a few lbs depending on what class you run. That should give you even more flexibility with the seat location.

Nazeer Khanani
      Participant

Jason, that’s great info. Thanks!

Jordon Musser
      Participant

I have run front porches and with out.

Chris Jennings is 6’4″ and 200lbs, and fits in a standard kart.  Make sure your seat is in the right spot, and have a good shop help you.  Chris moved his clutch and shifter lever.

I am 6’2″ and 160lbs, fit in a standard kart with standard clutch and shifter (but barely)

Cody Elliott
      Participant

I have an extended porch on both my karts and have been running them since 2009 on multiple brand chassis with the seat set at the factory settings for each brand. Seems to work really well for me.

Kerry Matthews
      Participant

I’m 5′ 11″ 200 lbs and run an extended porch on my Birel, which I road race.  I added the porch after setting a new Tillet 9.5 seat in the kart and putting it tilted as far back as allowed.  This cut down my wind resistance significantly, but left me no room for my long legs.  The porch has taken a couple of races to get used to the new positioning of my feet, which now ride atop the front frame rail, but I’m now very comfortable in the seat.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.