Home Forums Shifter Karts For those that transport via pick-up Truck

This topic contains 19 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Andrew Pachon 5 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Andrew Pachon
    Participant

I just bought a shifter kart and I am going to get a pick up truck.  I am leaning towards the Toyota Tundra Limited Double Cab with the Standard Bed (6 1/2 foot) as Toyota decided to not make a Double Cab Long Bed (8ft) in Limited.

My question is for those of you that transport your shifters with a pick-up truck.

1. What size bed do you have?

2. Do you wish you would have gone with a longer bed?

3. What all do you carry in the bed?

4. Do you also have a camper shell?

5. Do you think I can carry the essentials (Kart, tool box, table, pop-up tent, containers with spare items) in a 6 1/2ft bed? Electric lift mounts to tow hitch so that is one less item to go in the bed.

Thanks for any and all responses.

~Andy

Donnie Leonard
    Participant

Andrew, I have a 2008 toyota tundra double cab with the standard bed.  I can fit the kart in the truck with everything I need to run.  With a front bumper and rear bumper the kart fits perfectly.  I built ramps that are 15″ high that the kart sits on this way I can put the stand, tool box, air tank, tires, fuel,  spare motor and any other essentials i need under it.  all the other gear goes in the truck to keep that from being damaged since that is the most important.]

Joseph Hollinger
    Participant

Get the longer bed. It’s a pain getting everything in there even with the extra space. You’ve got the right idea for the kart lift–I use a Yakima hitch mounted bicycle carrier to carry my kartlift pro.

Christiaan Bouhuys
    Participant

I agree, get the longer bed. I bought a used Tundra doublecab with 8ft bed although I was not specifically looking for a long bed. I soon realized things would be a lot more uncomfortable had I bought a standard bed. With the 8ft bed, I can fit my tools, spare tires, and airtank in the front, fit the kart in without taking any parts off, and put the folded-up kart stand and fuel supply in the back while being able to close the hatch. I have a hard cover on the bed that keeps things dry and safe and closes almost all the way if it would not be for the kart stand wheel sticking out a couple of inches.

I use the space in the cab for a folding table and chairs, a few boxes of supplies and tools and my cooler and my racing bag.

I can put just about enough in my truck for all I need for a 2-day racing weekend and would not be able to with a standard/smaller bed.

Donnie Leonard
    Participant

I agree that a longer bed will give you more space but its a horse a piece.  I can also fit everything I need plus extras and still comfotablly drive my self and three other people with me to the event.  I have the standard bed with my kart sitting on ramps/benches as you can see in the picture i posted above.  I can fit tires, tool box, fuel, 10×20 pop up cannopy chairs, grill, cooler, kart stand, and whatever else i can throw in there.  plus the benches my kart sits on also doubles and bench in and out of my truck for extra seating.  then inside i have al my safety gear under the rear seat with a few other odds and ends.  I also have enough room for myself and 3 other passengers that may tag along with me.  I am not saying this is a best way to transport your kart equpiment and people to an event but just to show you it can be done and you can stll be comfortable doing so.

Bill Schmidt
    Participant

While not a pickup, I haul mine in the back of an Isuzu Rodeo 5 door suv 1996 vintage. We take the side pods off and rear wheels off and it goes right in and all doors and window close. We fold the trolley/transporter and bungie it to the roof rack.

Andrew Pachon
    Participant

Thanks Joseph, Christiaan, and Donnie,

I plan on getting the 8ft bed. I have been working on some plans for a platform for the bed and I am also looking to get a Leer Camper shell. I got to thinking what elements I want for my bed platform. These are some that I came up with.

1. I will need the platform to be able to be removed without having to remove Camper Shell.

2. Able to support Kart and all related gear. I may be over thinking this but I am shooting for 500lbs.

3. I would like accessible under storage with doors that stay open with some sort of gas shock.

4. I’d like to have some wheel chocks for my shifter as well as tie down locations (2 front, 2 mid and 2 aft)

5. Carpeted.

What ideas do you all have? What would you add or remove from my list? What changes would you make to any of my items?

~Andy

Valentin Yakimenko
    Participant

Im making something now out of scrap metal. Will post pics as soon as im done. I have 2 trucks that I will be rotating to transport my shifter.97 ext cab 6.5 ft bed gmc and 2013 4door f150 with 5.5 ft bed.

Andrew Pachon
    Participant

Thanks for the post Valentin, I am interested to see what yo come up with. A Friend of mine is a master carpenter and I am bouncing ideas off of him.

Valentin, Do you have a bed liner in?

Camper Shell?

~A

Valentin Yakimenko
    Participant

No bed liner in ford and no camper shell. Planning on getting a rain kart cover. Ok I had a little bit of time to work on it today. Its not a finished project yet but maybe 1 more day and I will post finished pics….hmmmm how do I post pics?

Andrew Pachon
    Participant

I host my photos on Photobucket.com and I use the “direct” link url and copy it to the photo icon when you post a reply.

~A

Valentin Yakimenko
    Participant

Thanx. I have too many photos to be copying links though. Here is link to the bucket album. I just primered and painted it. Works great. Have onlu 53$ in expanded metal the rest was bed frames and scram I have accumulated and had it laying around. Red square tubing it really thin so I had to braze the corners. But it being large size tubing it hold up weight pretty good. The rail slides oh harbor freight wheels. Which are really cheap. Im no fabricator. But I bought harbor freight mig welder with flux wire 0.35″ when I built the winchlift kart stand so I had plenty of practice for this project… anyways. Maybe in couple of days when I’ll get time to take pics of finished project ill update you. Or check my album.

http://s784.photobucket.com/albums/yy129/Valentin_Yakimenko haven’t checked the link lets hope it works fo ya.

Andrew Pachon
    Participant

That is a pretty nifty idea Valentin. I can’t seem to see how the ramp is captured in the tilt angle? Will it end up chewing up the tailgate edge? How hard is it to push the kart on the ramp and then kart and ramp up into the bed?

~Andy

Andrew Pachon
    Participant

I think I can see that you added something to the tailgate to prevent it from getting chewed up. This is a pretty cool idea. How much do you think the entire ramp and platform weighs?.

Andrew Pachon
    Participant

What is the height from the bed to the bottom of the platform (clearance)?

~A

Valentin Yakimenko
    Participant

The whole thing probably weighs close to 50lbs. But top rail comes of. Buttom is very light. I put the whole thing in the truck by myself. Its is pretty easy for one man to push it up. Rail rides on wheels that are mounted on the base. 6 wheels at 4″. Clearance is 14″ I didnt want to go any higher bc it would be harder to push the kart up for single person. Outside size is 60×60 each strip of expanded metal measures at 12″.

Andrew Pachon
    Participant

Valentin,

When you get a chance can you post some more detailed photos of the wheel system. I got my P/U Truck today.

2013 Toyota Tundra 4×4 5.7 DC-LB.

~A

Valentin Yakimenko
    Participant

Nice truck! I got another idea even better and lighter requires less metal. But the rail part will bi screwed to the bed of the truck. It wont be as bad as it sound. Yall gonna love it! Andrew mo problem , lemme know!

Andrew Pachon
    Participant

Andrew Pachon
    Participant

My schedule is getting changed. Line-X will either go on this or next week along with Tint.

Valentin, I am very interested in this ramp idea as I want to put on 33’s with a FabTech 4″ lift. As you can see at stock height, I am almost slide on equal.

I love the truck but at stock height it looks a lil goofy in terms of proportions that I think some lift will help.

I am looking at something like this.

~A

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.