Home Forums Shifter Karts FLA Winter Tour 2014 Open Shifter Class

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      andy graham
      Participant

I guess someone was paying attention to all the banter a couple of months ago on here about the suggestion of running an open shifter class in FL.  Got the email yesterday from FWT about the proposed schedule and class structure….open shifter was at the top of the list.  Thanks Bill Wright for listening.  IMHO, FWT will probably have a bigger turn out this year compared to previous years for opening up and allowing more karting enthusiasts to compete.   Prior to hearing this I didnt think about running the FWT this year, now I’m thinking about running  the OGP round in open shifter…Thanks again Bill for listening to your base, a true mark of successful businessmen.

marc-andre hubert
      Participant

open as, all makes, YZ, KX, RM or open as modded cr125.. cuz there as not been any modded cr125 class in long time, its what almost killed shifter kart because of cost.. but glad too see some attention to shifter karts.

if FWT would take page from SKUSA wich draws a lot of shifters would be nice.

andy graham
      Participant

unclear at the moment just what “open shifter” means, I’m sure the details will come out soon.  As far as I know, FWT uses SKUSA rules for their shifter classes.  Its all about weight to power relationship.

Charles Skowron
      Participant

More often than not, Open Shifter means:

Any 2-stroke 125cc motocross engine such as the Yamaha YZ, Kawasaki KX, Suzuki RM (rare), TM motocross (different from their well-known K9/KZ10 ICC engines), or the ubiquitous Honda CR125. From any year (although one org. specifies models no earlier than 1991). Mods allowed.

Any 125cc ICC/KZ  motor. (eg.: TM K9A/B/C, TM KZ10A/B, Maxter, Pavesi, SGM, Vortex, Debei, CRS, etc.)

In addition to the ICCs, they may even allow the older rotary-valved Formula C motors.

Usually, the class is restricted to 2-stroke 125cc motors; no 4-strokes like the Honda CRF. But, certain orgs. and series may allow them (I don’t know of any however). They might also allow for 80cc 2-strokes with a weight break. But 80’s are much rarer now than they used to be.

Since the Stock Honda package fits in the 125cc motocross engine category, it’s legal to run in the class as well.

Roger Ruthhart
      Participant

We had a number of racers express interest in having a place to run ICC’s so we offered an Open Shifter class this year but it only drew 7 entries. Hope this works for FWT — let me know if there is any way the Rock Island Grand Prix can support this effort.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.