Home Forums General Karting Discussion First Trip To Rock Island

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Roger Ruthhart 6 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Colin
    Participant

Hello everyone, My sons and I will be camping about an hour north of Rock Island this weekend for our Labor Day vacation. I was going to bring them down to watch the races… can anyone give me an idea of parking? Places to go? Trip advice? I have twin 3 year old boys so I think they will like it :) Thanks! Colin

David Cole
    Keymaster

Hi Colin,

Glad your looking into watching the action at RIGP. You can get the schedule HERE for the weekend. I suggest to plan on getting there Sunday when the mains start. There are a few parking lots on the north side of the track, or a parking ramp near the Holiday Inn. Bring some of the camping chairs to sit in, find a spot and enjoy the racing. There are events going on at every turn, but try to get inside turn four (middle of track) as they have kids stuff there from year to year. Enjoy your trip.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

russ Jolly
    Participant

3 tips, get there early, parking once all the racers and the racers family and pit crew get there becomes scarce. Be careful where you park, one year I had the pleasent experience of finding my car. Bring something for shade, or sun screen. If your trying to get your kids into karting, its worth getting the pit pass to show your kids around.

Roger Ruthhart
    Participant

Like they said… make sure you don’t park in a private lot with a sign that says they will tow you because they will. Vinar Furniture and lot across from the Library are notorious.

Only thing I can add is especially for little kids if you are going to spend much time trackside or in the pits you might want to get them earplugs.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.