Home Forums General Karting Discussion Finding the best fastest driving line….

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff Aldrich 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Jeff Aldrich
    Participant

Hi all. My first post. I was hoping some veteran drivers might be able to give their opinions on what would be the fastest driving line for the track attached. I have noted 2 different possible lines along with braking and gas positions.

Thanks for any comments.

Racing is my life!
    24Ever!

Mike Gerould
    Participant

Which track is that?  What kind of kart?

I wouldn’t bother about trying to map out a line.  Just drive it and do what the faster than you people do.  Eventually, you’ll learn what works and what doesn’t.

Daniel White
    Participant

The red line, although coming off the hairpin on the left, the driver should swing left to set up for the right-hander.

Jeff Aldrich
    Participant

Thanks…the track is a local indoor 1/4 mile track. I have been having trouble mastering the hairpin turn and that twisted turn where I have the two options. What did you mean about going more left into the hairpin? You mean enter earlier and hug the inside barrier ?

Racing is my life!
    24Ever!

TJ Koyen

Red line both corners.

Never drive down the middle of the track, as shown in the purple line into the hairpin. Also, why are you hugging the inside into turn 2? Every corner should be a long sweeping arc for the most part, especially in low-powered rentals.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Eric Alexander
    Participant

Some days I have waayyy to much time. LOL!

Jeff Aldrich
    Participant

So I hit the track today at lunch. They had made modifications. Personally…hate them. Much slower. The 2 worst areas of the track they made even harder by thinning out the area so that one kart can only make it through and  your forced to twist around each corner instead of finding a straight line through. The first hairpin now has a corner dip right before the hairpin. On the opposite side of the track, they brought the middle barrier out further so that you have to twist the kart around it. You can’t carry any momentum now and have so slow way down. You lose about a full second. Check it out. Thoughts?

Racing is my life!
    24Ever!

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Basically you’re making the common rookie mistake of driving straight from apex to apex, you need to use all of the track which means slowing down in certain spots so you can go much faster in others.

Ex: The last 3 turns coming onto the front straight are all wrong. You want to slow down in the first turn and hug the left side of the track to get an early apex for the next turn which you should try to drive straight across (your driving straight across it now but at the wrong angle). Then you’ll be in a position for a big sweeping turn onto the front straight. Also, swing it all the way to the right coming onto the straight.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Jeff Aldrich
    Participant

Thanks for the tips gif. Appreciate it.

Racing is my life!
    24Ever!

Jeff Aldrich
    Participant

ok…so this look better? Would this yield a faster line and better time? Also the karts get up to about 40-45 so does my gas and braking look about right? I have just been gauging it until I start to feel and hear the wheels losing traction and squealing. Don’t want that or is a little acceptable?

oh and racing direction is this way

————–>

Racing is my life!
    24Ever!

Walt Gifford
    Participant

That looks worse. If it’s any consolation that looks like a very technical track.

Jeff Aldrich
    Participant

now Iam really confused lol. I just redrew it going by your pointers? Care to redraw it showing what you think it the correct line? Would appreciate it. Trying desperately to drop a full second off my time. I know it would come immediately but I would like to be on the right line.

Racing is my life!
    24Ever!

Mike Gerould
    Participant

Did they switch directions of the track when they changed the layout?  It’s now Clockwise?

Your breaking and gas points seem to indicate Counter-Clockwise.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

I wish I could draw it for you but I don’t know how. Going CCW, at the end of the main straight I would be on the left side of the track.

Jeff Aldrich
    Participant

Track is and has always been run counter clockwise. It definitely is a difficult one.
    I updated the track with the newest line I tried out today. Still wasn’t getting much better then the other line I was running before. Best before was a 32.5. Today’s best was a 32.7. The top ten drivers are running this at 31.4-31.8. I ran a best of a 31.9 before they changed it up and pushed the barrier out more at the place I feel I am losing the most time.
    Iam trying hard to follow and understand Walt. Your suggesting running down the stretch closest to the pits on the left side? In order to get that line, I would have to cut the apex and lose all the momentum I would gain coming out of the long swooping corner just prior to that. I honestly can say I have never seen anybody do this at the track. Not insulting you just stating a fact.
    Iam hopefully going to be able to run with the top 10 guys sometime in a couple of weeks. This will allow me to see what lines they are running. In the meantime any pointers still kindly appreciated.

Racing is my life!
    24Ever!

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

I interpreted what Walt was saying as this, with a few other things I’d try.

www.facebook.com/hamiltonhelmets/
    2014 Praga Dragon / IAME KA-100

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

I’ve also found on indoor tracks that body weight is a HUGE factor, as is ambient temps….on cold days the heavier guys were insurmountably faster as they could get more heat into the tires…  On warmer days, my lighter weight / better acceleration won out.

www.facebook.com/hamiltonhelmets/
    2014 Praga Dragon / IAME KA-100

Jeff Aldrich
    Participant

Thanks Tom. Will give it a shot. I’ll post back the results Friday afternoon. That’s the next time I’ll be out on the track.

Racing is my life!
    24Ever!

Walt Gifford
    Participant

You make the turn onto the straight as wide as you can and end up on the right side of the track then over the length of the straight you slowly cross over to the left side so you’ll have the best angle on the kink.

Now if I can try to explain about S turns. When you are in the S turns, when you get to the apex of the turn you need to hug that side of the track a little longer to get a better angle on the next turn.

On the final series of S turns before the main straight you have a left turn, a right turn and another left turn onto the straight. I’ll call these turns 1,2 &3. When you get to the apex of turn one hug the left side of the track a long long time until you’re out in the marbles way out there where nobody goes then turn hard to the right so you go straight across the apex of turn 2. When you’re passing the apex of turn 2 this is the start of turn 3 which should be as big and wide as possible ending on the right side of the straight. So, what you’ve done is sacrifice turn one so you’ll have a wider and faster turn 3 which will increase your straight speed. then use the whole length of the straight to cross over to the left side.

Gif

Jeff Aldrich
    Participant

Ok Walt…here is my interpretation. Let me know if this is what your saying or if I need to make changes. I think sooner or later I’ll have a map of a good fast line.

Racing is my life!
    24Ever!

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Gif

Jeff Aldrich
    Participant

Awesome! Thanks Walt. Yeah was a bit confused a to what was 1 and 2. Funny thing is I had it like your picture originally through the S turns on the back part. ahhhhh well I have a battle plan for tomorrow now! Again huge thanks coming from someone with a lot of experience.

Racing is my life!
    24Ever!

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Jeff

I think you got everyone confused with the direction of your track drawings

One time you posted this:

oh and racing direction is this way

————–>

This is to me an indication that the track is ran clock wise  correct?

The other thing was when you asked Walt that if by going to the left side would mean being closer to the pitts? Is to me an indication that you’re running clock wise on the main straigthaway, correct?

You also posted another picture of the drawing with lots of arrows pointing the opposite direction (counter clock wise )

I can see where every body is trying to help you, and indeed they are very accurate, but I don’t know if they’re following your running direction.

Because if you’re going clockwise I would totally wanna go as close to the pit lane, to the left side and then cut it inside of turn 1.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, as I’m going by the arrow you posted, but then I got confused by your drawing with bunch of blue arrows going on the wrong direction from your other post.

Jeff Aldrich
    Participant

Freddy, sorry to confuse. Not sure if you have been able to see this whole thread or just the first post. I have explained everything better and provided a better representation of the track. Also received some excellent advice from Walt whom has 46 years karting experience. And with that…

I picked up 5 tenths on friday just using Walts battle plan. So best time was a 32.0. I would be happy knowing that but I also was made aware that 2 guys are now approaching the 30 second marker. They ran a 31.111 and a 31.0 friday night. OUCH! Iam hoping to be able to get a run in on Wednesday to be able to follow the guy around that clicked off the 31.111. We were talking on friday. I’ll post up more then.

Thanks  to everybody!

Racing is my life!
    24Ever!

Jeff Aldrich
    Participant

Update: So I was able to get a video from a friend running the track and was able to redo the map. I was off quite a bit after reviewing the actual video of running the track. This is what the track actually looks like. Its even more difficult then what I have pictured up to now. Iam meeting up with the “fast guys” this thursday evening to see what line they are running. Walt if you see this and can add any pointers before I go on thursday, feel free to share.

Thanks, Jeff

Racing is my life!
    24Ever!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.