Home Forums TaG Rotax Max "Filter" on top of cylinder head for radiator?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Matt Clark
      Participant

I just had a kart shipped to me and am in the process of putting it together.  My question is, on top of the cylinder next to the spark plug, there’s a hole for the radiator hose, and currently there is a plastic piece with a bar running through the middle of it.  My question is: is this there just for shipping purposes or does it stay in order to prevent items getting into the radiator hose and causing blockage (although if something that big was coming out of the engine, there’s problems already!)

Matt

Ted Hamilton
      Participant

A lot of plastics melt around 350-550 degrees, so I’d be removing it, pronto.  Also, the last thing you need is something accumulating debris INSIDE the engine — a plugged rad is annoying, but kinda’ functional whereas a plugged engine is disastrous.  I’d remove it and not think twice.  My guess is same as yours — preventing foreign object intrusion for shipping or such.  Though most I’ve seen use a solid orange cap with lip for that purpose…

www.facebook.com/hamiltonhelmets/
      2014 Praga Dragon / IAME KA-100

George Vorrilas
      Participant

Based on what you are describing, you are looking into the top water fitting where the hose connects ? Looking down into this there is generally a thermostat in this housing..  If possible take a digital picture and either post it of forward it to us and we will do our best to steer you in the right direction.

Thanks GV @ Apex

978-479-7974

apexkart@comcast.net

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.