Home Forums Shifter Karts Engines!!!

This topic contains 26 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Michae Polizzi 5 days, 13 hours ago.

• Author

Richard talbert
    Participant

Hello Guys,

I have always thought about this for years and decided now to bring it up. I know there’s a stock Honda class, which uses what I believe is a 125cc Honda dirt bike engine(correct me if I’m wrong). From what I’m hearing, their a spec class. Has any other motor cycle manufactures like Kawasaki, KTM or Suzuki try to enter karting in the 125cc shifter class? I would love to hear and see those brands go at it like in Moto X! Or, seeing some one get a factory Suzuki ride in karting. I’m pretty sure they would have the money to back a program such as this for research and development maybe. How involved is Yamaha in the 100cc? Anyone care to comment?

Richard

Matt Martin
    Participant

Check the thread just below this one.  I think you’ll have a better idea of the dynamics at play.

Is SKUSA moving away from the stock Honda?

Richard talbert
    Participant

Thanks for responding Matt.

I am very intrigued by this topic and I going to do some research on this. I’ll keep you guys posted on my process and such if anyone is interested!

Richard talbert
    Participant

Dan Breuer

Participant

<!– .bbp-reply-author –>

I agree, would be cool to see manufacturer’s go head to head. Issue is karting is a niche market- there would be no return on investment for them. The reason they do this in Motocross is to sell more cycles, they have a major following, TV coverage, and the market share is there for them to capture; win on Saturday night sell cycles on Sunday. That being said, karting is not a spectator sport nor does it have the appeal of the motorcycle.

As for the Yamaha, I remember when it was introduced (I was very young). They actually had a kart and all (they may have been thinking along the lines of motocross for the future of karting), in short time reduced to just an engine supplier. They have been around since the 70’s with very little change, tells me the money is not there for them as they really put no effort into major upgrades or a new ‘product’ line.

I prefer karting to motocross, it just is not as popular with a majority of the people (check Craig’s list and see how many cycles for sale versus karts). Wish there was a way to make it more mainstream, but for now the best we can do is support the people and companies that are making it work for us!

Richard talbert
    Participant

Thanks for responding Dan,

As for the audience for karting, I think this is because of the lack of promotion of the sport! I found about karting from watching the speed channel and now there gone like the clone engines. I have yet to see one kart part manufacture advertise at an indoor kart track. The last indoor track I seen trying to promote outdoor karting was AllSports GP and they were forced to shut done due to increased rent. These places see a very large volume of people including fellow karters that want to race.

Kart trade shows aren’t going to cut it. Set up a booth at an Indy car or IMSA race. I’m pretty sure allot of people would be surprised that just about every race car driver has either raced or trains in them. Every kid that I have seen at an Indy car race wants to be a race car driver after they leave. Just like a kid going to a Supercross or F1 race. Use it!

If the US Open of Dirt would had kicked off back in 2014, it would have been a perfect platform for those bike manufactures to come in. They could have ran with Areanacross or Monster truck. After there racing flatten out the dirt and add some barriers or vise versa. I just hate seeing these missed opportunities and watching local kart tracks vanish into thin air like 89 octane fuel.

I never understood why the US, with the racing pedigree that we have isn’t matching the karting presence over sees including sport karting.

And last, I would race dirt bikes to. I just don’t like the idea of being launched 15 feet in the air on two wheels and no roll cage.

TJ Koyen

What is the incentive for KTM or Kawasaki to get into the tiny market of karting? The fact is, there is none. The pie is already so small, there is no space other companies to jump in and try to push their product into it and get a slice.

Karting has done some awesome promotional work lately. SuperNats is on CBS (at a huge cost to SKUSA), there has been actual karting races at the PRI show, I know our local clubs all have booths at local car meets and trade shows as well as indoor tracks… The issue is that this can be an expensive, niche hobby. It’s a complicated sport with a lot of people trying to get their hands on the little profits there are available. Until you simply class structure, licensing, condense organizations and rule sets, and make the whole thing a LOT more simple for the entry-level karter, it’s going to be tough to ever pull any big numbers of newbies into the sport.

Motocross’ organization is much more simplified. You can buy a bike off a showroom floor and race it almost anywhere in the country. In karting, you have a dozen different orgs running a dozen different rules, each with a dozen different classes that no one outside the industry understands…

Can I ask, what do you race Richard, just out of curiosity.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Richard talbert
    Participant

What is the incentive for KTM or Kawasaki to get into the tiny market of karting? The fact is, there is none. The pie is already so small, there is no space other companies to jump in and try to push their product into it and get a slice. Karting has done some awesome promotional work lately. SuperNats is on CBS (at a huge cost to SKUSA), there has been actual karting races at the PRI show, I know our local clubs all have booths at local car meets and trade shows as well as indoor tracks… The issue is that this can be an expensive, niche hobby. It’s a complicated sport with a lot of people trying to get their hands on the little profits there are available. Until you simply class structure, licensing, condense organizations and rule sets, and make the whole thing a LOT more simple for the entry-level karter, it’s going to be tough to ever pull any big numbers of newbies into the sport. Motocross’ organization is much more simplified. You can buy a bike off a showroom floor and race it almost anywhere in the country. In karting, you have a dozen different orgs running a dozen different rules, each with a dozen different classes that no one outside the industry understands… Can I ask, what do you race Richard, just out of curiosity.

Thanks for responding again TJ,

Most of my karting experience came from those rental kart tracks indoor and outdoor that you pay $40 for a quali and three heat races and x amount of $ for stints in enduros. Like Allsports Gp and summit point. I had a racing buddy that let me run his tag when he’s not racing.

(In my opinion), the people they are promoting to already know about karting and if there not karting already; they are not going to unless they are giving back, I.E. (help me move up). We need to see booths at racing series, only because they have way more of a presence to marketing to new people. People see Indy car on a major channel and say what is that! There’s always opportunities to promote; I say use it!

As for Kawasaki, Suzuki and so on, they make more then bikes and have an opportunity to sell other products: atv’s, boat engines and etc… I like to ride dirt bikes, I just don’t race them(Trail section for Yamaha). Dan said Yamaha started a chassis from what it looks like the 70’s, from what I think was to move people from karting to dirt bikes. In my opinion, it’s a new age filled with new products. If you don’t succeed, try and try again.

And like you said TJ “Until you simply class structure, licensing, condense organizations and rule sets, and make the whole thing a LOT more simple for the entry-level karter, it’s going to be tough to ever pull any big numbers of newbies into the sport.”. (Sponsors)

I say it’s up to the present to make a future for the future!

On Honda’s HPD website they have a shifter motor kit for $1,600. Then you add blue printing and other running parts you have a 6k motor!

There is some things I want to say but I don’t want to discourage people.

Things need to change, that’s why I would like to look up manufacturing costs and so on. Unless some one has the information.

My last thought, a 3k+ motor plus a rebuild after the season or recommended is not going to work.

Clark Gaynor Sr.
    Participant

Richard, I’m not sure which tread you are referring to at times.  I know you started one on the Tag forum, but didn’t seem to like any of the answers we offered.  And that’s fine.

As for the Stock Honda’s.  They are 1999 CR125’s which allow either the 99 or 2001 cylinders and heads.  They also have a 1996, I think, gearbox in them because they’re 6 speeds and not 5’s like the 99’s.  They are allowed one of two Keihn carbs, and one choice of pipe as I recall.  They are also 2 cycles!

To the best of my knowledge and I don’t pretend to know much about motocross, but I don’t think many bike manufacturer make 2 strokes anymore.  If you have ever looked inside the head of a current Yamaha or Honda 250 (or whatever cc they are) 4 stroke, you would be impressed!  I was!  They are works of art…and so is the cost.  The current CR head is less the $200, I can’t even image what a 4 stroke head would cost.  1500-2000?  And as you may know, racing engines break stuff.  If you want to end shifter racing at a reasonable price, go 4 stroke.  That will kill it!

$1600 Honda kit.  That is a pick kit from a Honda distributor.  NO TWO PARTS ARE PUT TOGETHER!!!  They come in a crate of bags of parts.  I’ve seen ours at the engine builders when they arrived back 2001.  If you don’t know what you’re doing, assembling one is an intimidating task.  They don’t come with power valve plugs, carb, pipe, engine mount, j arm, airbox/filter, fuel delivery system for the carb, or a set of jets.  Yep, $5500-6000 isn’t really all that bad considering you get EVERYTHING you need…assembled.

I know you disagree with racing karts on a sports car track, but you mentioned Summit Point.  The Woodbridge Kart Club will be holding our first event this season on the Shenandoah Circuit on April 21st and 22nd.  I invite you to stop by, buy a pit pass, and look me up.  I’ll give you the cooks tour of what current kart racing is all about.  Anything from the LO206, and Tags, to Stock Honda’s, and maybe even a 250 Superkart, if any show up.

Have a good day folks,

Clark Gaynor Sr.

WKA NRRC Member.

WKC Board Member.

Richard talbert
    Participant

Richard, I’m not sure which tread you are referring to at times. I know you started one on the Tag forum, but didn’t seem to like any of the answers we offered. And that’s fine. As for the Stock Honda’s. They are 1999 CR125’s which allow either the 99 or 2001 cylinders and heads. They also have a 1996, I think, gearbox in them because they’re 6 speeds and not 5’s like the 99’s. They are allowed one of two Keihn carbs, and one choice of pipe as I recall. They are also 2 cycles! To the best of my knowledge and I don’t pretend to know much about motocross, but I don’t think many bike manufacturer make 2 strokes anymore. If you have ever looked inside the head of a current Yamaha or Honda 250 (or whatever cc they are) 4 stroke, you would be impressed! I was! They are works of art…and so is the cost. The current CR head is less the $200, I can’t even image what a 4 stroke head would cost. 1500-2000? And as you may know, racing engines break stuff. If you want to end shifter racing at a reasonable price, go 4 stroke. That will kill it! $1600 Honda kit. That is a pick kit from a Honda distributor. NO TWO PARTS ARE PUT TOGETHER!!! They come in a crate of bags of parts. I’ve seen ours at the engine builders when they arrived back 2001. If you don’t know what you’re doing, assembling one is an intimidating task. They don’t come with power valve plugs, carb, pipe, engine mount, j arm, airbox/filter, fuel delivery system for the carb, or a set of jets. Yep, $5500-6000 isn’t really all that bad considering you get EVERYTHING you need…assembled. I know you disagree with racing karts on a sports car track, but you mentioned Summit Point. The Woodbridge Kart Club will be holding our first event this season on the Shenandoah Circuit on April 21st and 22nd. I invite you to stop by, buy a pit pass, and look me up. I’ll give you the cooks tour of what current kart racing is all about. Anything from the LO206, and Tags, to Stock Honda’s, and maybe even a 250 Superkart, if any show up. Have a good day folks, Clark Gaynor Sr. WKA NRRC Member. WKC Board Member.

Thanks for responding Clark,

As for my tag post, shifters were mentioned but were different topics in one. I hear a downside and instantly come up with a possible alternative; I’m sorry. When I don’t like an answer I fight to resolve it. As, for road racing karts, I go back and forth with people all day about the subject. I don’t feel safe; seeing people getting launched from karts or flipping them on the rental kart level.

I will be in Va in the future and will hold you up on the offer; that was the first kart club I requested info from some odd years back.

Richard

Richard talbert
    Participant

Thanks for responding Matt. I am very intrigued by this topic and I going to do some research on this. I’ll keep you guys posted on my process and such if anyone is interested!

I just contacted Honda HPD and Kawasaki in regards to this subject!

I’ll keep you posted.

Richard

Richard talbert
    Participant

These are the questions that I have sent to Honda High Performance Development:

How do you see future sales of the Honda 125cc engine for karting?
    What kind of increase in sales would you want to see to further develop the engine?
    Could you see Honda HPD battling with KTM, Suzuki, Kawasaki and etc.. in the 125cc shifter class in the future?
    Would you be interested with running Honda kart engines along side Arenacross for promotional purposes?
    How do you see your future in karting?
    What current relationships with current kart shops or manufactures do you need to progress as a whole in karting?
    How much money do you wish to make in karting?
    What other non-racing products do you wish to sell?
    And to add, arrive & drive kart tracks still use your GX series Honda motor!
    Kawasaki was just a basic inquiry!
    I’ll keep you posted.

Richard talbert
    Participant

Thanks for responding Matt. I am very intrigued by this topic and I going to do some research on this. I’ll keep you guys posted on my process and such if anyone is interested!

I just contacted Honda HPD and Kawasaki in regards to this subject! I’ll keep you posted. Richard

I’m sorry Clark, I just realized you said the Shenandoah Circuit. If things go well for me I will see you guys there in April.

Richard

Clark Gaynor Sr.
    Participant

FYI, Honda makes a run of 1999 and 2001 “parts” only when required by us folks in the US.  At SOME point that flow will stop.  We, collectively don’t know when.  It’s nearly 20 years old, they don’t make it anymore, or put it in anything.  I assume Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, etc. are all in the same boat..it’s all 4 strokes.  Remember 2 cycles keep karting costs in check.  They are extremely simple things.  Of course you have the Briggs Animal/LO206, but that’s another whole story all together.  I can bring you up to date on those too at Summit.  We have two of them.

The current batch of KZ motors seem like the future, and they are purpose built just for karts.  A little pricey, but ever nice motors.  There is also talk of the new 175 cc IAME motor starting here in the US.  Likely more HP due to the increase in cc’s with less mods.  Kind of like a big block X30 with a gear box.  It would make a really great reliable ride.

Bike manufacturers don’t care about karts.  We run 2 strokes, they build 4 strokes.  There is no incentive at all for them to get involved.  They likely sell more 250cc 4 stroke dirt bikes in a few days, then all the 99 CR125 kit motors in a few years.  Just sayen’.

I think you mentioned the Tag package being about 3000, they’re actually closer to 4000.

Car stuff.  My Son ran the Skip Barber Formula Dodge Eastern Series back in 97.  We budgeted 3K per three day event, with a 8 event season.  Run the numbers..that was a killer.  Sold all our kart stuff and a home equity loan.  Plus the three day competition school and a lapping day required prior to running the series.  Well, I just did a real quick check, ready..  double that today!!  For us, that was a once in a life time experience for our whole family.

Anyway, I suspect you’d like to get involved in kart racing at some level.  I would strongly suggest you attend a few events with the Woodbridge Kart Club, the Sandy Hook Kart track in Street Maryland, and Nicholson Kart Club in Chestertown Maryland.   I think a bunch of your questions will be answered.  And you’ll get to see what is actually going on and why.

We all would like karting to be a big deal, but it’s just not.  We race go-karts.  I like to ask, how much do you know about Formula ford, how about quarter midgets, or full size midgets for that matter?  Or dirt modifieds, late models?  How about Chump cars, Show Room Stock classes?  Hill climbs, solo one, alcohol drag cars, etc, etc.  Everybody wants to get the big sponsor for their series.  Everybody wants to be on TV.  But the truth is, we race go-karts.  They’re great, and we all have a blast doing it.  And really, that’s all that matters.  You spend as much as you can afford and no more.

Have fun,

Clark Sr…back to PS4, Gran Turismo Sport.  Got other kart racers waiting for me.

Richard talbert
    Participant

FYI, Honda makes a run of 1999 and 2001 “parts” only when required by us folks in the US. At SOME point that flow will stop. We, collectively don’t know when. It’s nearly 20 years old, they don’t make it anymore, or put it in anything. I assume Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, etc. are all in the same boat..it’s all 4 strokes. Remember 2 cycles keep karting costs in check. They are extremely simple things. Of course you have the Briggs Animal/LO206, but that’s another whole story all together. I can bring you up to date on those too at Summit. We have two of them. The current batch of KZ motors seem like the future, and they are purpose built just for karts. A little pricey, but ever nice motors. There is also talk of the new 175 cc IAME motor starting here in the US. Likely more HP due to the increase in cc’s with less mods. Kind of like a big block X30 with a gear box. It would make a really great reliable ride. Bike manufacturers don’t care about karts. We run 2 strokes, they build 4 strokes. There is no incentive at all for them to get involved. They likely sell more 250cc 4 stroke dirt bikes in a few days, then all the 99 CR125 kit motors in a few years. Just sayen’. I think you mentioned the Tag package being about 3000, they’re actually closer to 4000. Car stuff. My Son ran the Skip Barber Formula Dodge Eastern Series back in 97. We budgeted 3K per three day event, with a 8 event season. Run the numbers..that was a killer. Sold all our kart stuff and a home equity loan. Plus the three day competition school and a lapping day required prior to running the series. Well, I just did a real quick check, ready.. double that today!! For us, that was a once in a life time experience for our whole family. Anyway, I suspect you’d like to get involved in kart racing at some level. I would strongly suggest you attend a few events with the Woodbridge Kart Club, the Sandy Hook Kart track in Street Maryland, and Nicholson Kart Club in Chestertown Maryland. I think a bunch of your questions will be answered. And you’ll get to see what is actually going on and why. We all would like karting to be a big deal, but it’s just not. We race go-karts. I like to ask, how much do you know about Formula ford, how about quarter midgets, or full size midgets for that matter? Or dirt modifieds, late models? How about Chump cars, Show Room Stock classes? Hill climbs, solo one, alcohol drag cars, etc, etc. Everybody wants to get the big sponsor for their series. Everybody wants to be on TV. But the truth is, we race go-karts. They’re great, and we all have a blast doing it. And really, that’s all that matters. You spend as much as you can afford and no more. Have fun, Clark Sr…back to PS4, Gran Turismo Sport. Got other kart racers waiting for me.

Thanks for responding again Clark,

First, let me start by saying I’m no expert by any means!

And, since we are all being up front here and from what your saying; my fate is forever set as being a poor man trying to beat a rich man at a millionaires sport! Let’s not lie here, 80% of us want to be a Semi-pro race car drivers, 15% of us want to be both race car drivers and karters and 5% of us just want to race karts(Please correct me if I’m wrong). We don’t sacrifice x amount of dollars for fun. We sacrifice x amount of dollars for the passion of the sport; which will never die!

If you paid attention to my posts there are directed to the Pro series. Like Dan said ” The reason they do this in Motocross is to sell more cycles”. If X kart wins the most, the lower levels will buy X kart/products because it wins. Sticking to X engine is taking away from the competiveness of the sport.(Lets all just race Margay karts) Like I said: find another way to equal the racing other then weight ballasts(people have been running Yamaha/Honda/Rotax/Leopard for years).

Again, three sponsors are better then one. Like you see in auto racing: one main tire brand and multiple governed engine makes! I seen on Ekarting News that Honda HPD is sponsoring the S1 champ to formula 4 for X. I think they see something but are waiting for us to set aside X. Karting is a grass root and we will always be at the bottom of the ladder. In order to get to X you need to go through karting.

As for those new kz engines, karting has always showed a trend. This being, X engine is to fast, so lets stick to Y to get to Z and then Y becomes mc squared!(All of this from watching races at sandy hook and years of YouTube videos)

Champ car/WRL, $1,500 for 4 1hr and 1/2 stints at Cota, $500 deposit; give me X please!

I guess I’ll just stick to Live for Speed and race Formula BMW @ Blackwood for the rest of my life!

I would like to wish clean racing to all and I will keep you posted on talking to Honda and X bike makes.

Regards,

Richard

Richard talbert
    Participant

This is a Honda HPD test day from 2014!

Richard talbert
    Participant

Chad Reed in a 250

Matt Martin
    Participant

what’s your point?

the 4-strokes are even more expensive to repair/replace.

What is your experience in manufacturing and precision machining?  Have you managed a company before, or acted as a liaison between end-user and supplier in any official capacity?

I don’t mean to discourage you, but this has all been done.  KZ engines were an alternative to the Honda engines – those are now even more expensive.

Your best option is to learn everything you can, figure out your budget and buy the setup that fits that budget.

I have an old 2008 Intrepid kart with an old TM K9a (KZ engine) that I run with Woodbridge.   I’ve mostly pieced it together with NOS parts that I can find for sale on ebay and here.  I’m not competitive with the front-runners, but I have fun, and that’s all I’m really looking for.

Richard talbert
      Participant

Thanks for responding Matt,

I would like to keep this along the lines of racing on kart tracks. You road racing guys see way more rpms then the short track guys.

I would like to say I’m not trying to kill shifter kart racing. I’m just adding my opinion. That’s why companies have research and development departs.

And it said HPD research and development, meaning they need to work out some stuff. (talk to them this would be a good time)

I said nothing about going 4 stroke! Just show you what (I’m guessing Hondas future for shifter kart racing)

And no, the most I know about manufacturing is CAD software!

As for a public liaison, I guess I’m entry-level and hired my self.

I’ve been watching this sport for years and don’t like certain things.

FYI, Honda has a 2018 CRF 125 for $3,000, I think I might pick one up after I get my kart.

And Matt, I love that your having fun and I wish you happiness in this sport.

But sorry, I don’t race for fun !!!

Clark Gaynor Sr.
    Participant

One more and last comment by me on the subject.  You are so incredibly uninformed it’s verging on the ridiculous.

Short track engines run WAY more RPMs the long track engines.

If you don’t race for fun, you will NEVER be good at it.

That’s all,

Clark Sr.

Richard talbert
    Participant

One more and last comment by me on the subject. You are so incredibly uninformed it’s verging on the ridiculous. Short track engines run WAY more RPMs the long track engines. If you don’t race for fun, you will NEVER be good at it. That’s all, Clark Sr.

Thank you for responding Clark.

Matt Martin
    Participant

I would like to keep this along the lines of racing on kart tracks. You road racing guys see way more rpms then the short track guys.

as Clark said, you have those in the opposite order.

I would like to say I’m not trying to kill shifter kart racing. I’m just adding my opinion. That’s why companies have research and development departs. And it said HPD research and development, meaning they need to work out some stuff. (talk to them this would be a good time) I said nothing about going 4 stroke! Just show you what (I’m guessing Hondas future for shifter kart racing)

I have worked in R&D my entire adult career, I know quite well how they work.

You posted a link to 4-strokes with no context – hence me asking what’s the point?  They’re the opposite of affordable. I think Honda is happy to just sell some easy-to-manufacture parts with no real assembly work and little to no repercussions on their larger business – if they weren’t you’d have guessed in ~20 years, they’d have tried to do something, anything different.

The future of shifter kart racing is made by the organizations who set the rules – if you want to race,  you have to race in a sanctioned group with a defined set of rules.  That’s why I told  you to view the existing thread about SKUSA’s potential direction in the future.

And no, the most I know about manufacturing is CAD software! As for a public liaison, I guess I’m entry-level and hired my self. I’ve been watching this sport for years and don’t like certain things. FYI, Honda has a 2018 CRF 125 for $3,000, I think I might pick one up after I get my kart.  And Matt, I love that your having fun and I wish you happiness in this sport. But sorry, I don’t race for fun !!!

Again, Clark got this one correct: if you’re not having fun, what’s the point?  I guess it’s easy to win when you’re making up your own rules and racing among  yourself.

it seems you’re trying to develop something without knowing the very basics involved with the supply chain and market dynamics.  if you want to change things you first need to have a business case (how to make it profitable).  Then you have to convince everyone your business case is better than others out there.  Then, you have to show that the racing will be entertaining and close.

Get to work!

Richard talbert
    Participant

Thanks for responding Matt.

Greg Wright
    Participant

I’ve read this thread and the other one multiple times and I’m not sure I know what is being argued about.
    Richard, if you’re not racing for fun you’re doing it wrong.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.
    Vintage B-Stock Pilot
    "When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Richard talbert
    Participant

Thanks fro responding Greg.

My post were never ment for a confrontation.

They were ment to gather information from you guys.

And of course i have fun, i just don’t race for fun, sorry.

Anything that involves money is a very serious matter.

Greg Wright
    Participant

Richard, the flaw in your suggesting that other manufacturers become involved is the same one that afflicted TAG. The manufacturers won’t compete on price, only on performance and the racer ends up footing the bill.

Once again I have to agree with Clark, if you don’t have fun racing you will never be good at it. It’s got to be fun first and foremost.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.
    Vintage B-Stock Pilot
    "When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Roger Ruthhart
    Participant

I’m coming to the discussion late, but back in the early days of shifters there were some Kawasakis (maybe others) that ran but then Honda became the gold standard thanks top SKUSA. But TJ is right — it’s just too small of a market for mfgrs to mess with. Honda Performance wouldn’t exist if it was just karting and not IndyCar etc. But look how many Yamahas have run in karting for home many DECADES and they haven’t gotten involved. Just isn’t going to happen.

Michae Polizzi
    Participant

Back in 2001 I entered the world of shifterkart racing. I purchased a top level back up kart from a well known racer. It had a Kawasaki KX125 engine from Paul Leary. Having won some local stock Briggs championships I was confident I knew what I was getting into…..WRONG! Fortunately for me I was blessed with the information found on the pages of the original EKN site. There are so many people still here and no longer with us that spent the time to answer my questions. My KX125 was competitive on the regional level (thank you Paul) However the Honda’s  just had that much more R&D. My 42 HP KX could not keep up with the 49-52 HP Honda hand grenades. Mind you all of the engines at the top level if not tuned PRECISELY, are a bomb waiting to go off. Yamaha  never made any headway into the karting scene at the top levels. As Roger and Greg have said. Race to have fun, acquire all the information from the best sources you can. These guys have forgotten more about the sport that most of us will ever know. Go fast, Stay on all fours!  Michael Polizzi, Full Bore Karting.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.