Home Forums TaG Early leopard no spark. ( I know I know don't laugh)

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author
      Mark Lockett
      Participant

I have an 08 leopard not getting spark. I’ve replaced the stator and coil. I have continuity in the blue wire to the box. I’ve read through most of this forum and tried most of it. Help me before I lose my mind :-)
      Thanks.

tony zambos
      Participant

Mark,
      If you can get your hands on an external starter, try that. Check the battery voltage. Check the ground wires, the one on the block and the one across the isolator for the coil. You mentioned that the stator was replaced. Was the rotor replaced also?

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Mark Lockett
      Participant

The grounds are good. All cleaned and tight and yes the rotor was replaced with stator the battery voltage is low. I have a brand new fresh battery showing up I hope on Thursday. External starter just moved to the top of my list of “to buy” items

tony zambos
      Participant

Mark,
      Hopefully the battery will fix your problem. Let us know the results. Picking up a used external starter wouldn’t be a bad idea. You could put a second battery on your to buy list as well. And also with any Leopard, spare starter motor brushes and a tube of silicon.

Mark Lockett
      Participant

I’ve always had spare batteries but they don’t last long. I’ve tried 3 different times to buy a used external starter. Once the price goes much past $120 or so it makes more sense to get a new one. I have spare onboard staters so I can have a rotation going lol
      I will definitely post the fix to problem because this sucks big time

Mark Lockett
      Participant

Ok here’s the update: I’m not sure I mentioned this began with a starter problem. Starter needs a brush kit so I put a starter that hopefully doesn’t as well on. New battery came today, 13 volts right out of the box. Won’t turn the starter over unless it’s connected to my battery charger on “engine start” mode which is a pretty ridiculous amount of current. Just like an old battery that barely charges past 11 volts does. Still no spark

Mark Lockett
      Participant

I’m so totally lost

Dan Brown
        Participant

Start with the basics. Charge your new battery fully. Since it is not turning over properly and has no spark, you need to determine if it is two separate problems or both being caused by the same problem. I would disconnect the wires from the starter. Make 2 pieces of wire a couple feet long with the correct ends to bolt onto the starter. Touch these to the terminals of a good charged battery and see if your starter will spin the kart over. If it doesn’t, your starter is bad. If it spins properly, then you have an issue with either your wiring harness or starter relay. Not sure if you have the key type on/off switch like mine does or the two push button style. If you are able to make the starter spin the engine using a battery and jumper wires, then turn the key to the Run position and spin the engine over. If you have spark it should start. If no spark then its either a wiring problem or your stator problem isn’t fixed yet.

tony zambos
      Participant

Mark,
      have you tried removing the spark plug and clutch drum to check how easily the crank spins? Also look thru the plug hole and the exhaust port to see if there is any damage to the cylinder wall. I suppose you could have a partially stuck engine.
      Take one of your starter motors apart. Check the brush leads. Take a volt meter and check the resistance between each one of the segments on the armature. The readings should all be close to each other. But I have doubts that both starters have the same problem.
      I’d also check the connector to the starter for a pushed in pin. What made you think originally think that started was bad?
      At this point it may not be a bad idea to take the engine into a shop.

Mark Lockett
      Participant

I’ve checked the connectors,they look fine. The motor spins fine. What made me think the starter was bad was sort of a wild ass guess based on trying to trace out why I had nothing happening when I hit the start button. This engine package has about 8 hours since new. Everything. I’m emailing the guy at the shop tomorrow about taking it in. I’m hauling it to the track tomorrow or Saturday I think to see if I can start it with a handheld starter.
      I’m beyond lost at this point

tony zambos
      Participant

Mark, any luck?

Mark Lockett
      Participant

Nope. I think I’m taking it to a shop. I’m totally stuck. Pretty irritating. I’m shopping for external starters as well. I’m trying to figure out a way to get myself an 09. Probably have to sell both my 08’s to get one 09
      I’m considering it

Samir Shah
      Participant

I just repaired the broken brush in my starter. Took a couple of hours, but was not too bad. I soldered the broken braid back to the tab.

Samir

Ric mcDade
      Participant

I think your box needs a new starter relay. That’s why I need to know if it starts with an external

Mark Lockett
      Participant

Ok so is that something that can be done? I can’t buy a rebuilt box? I’d have to send mine in?

Mark Lockett
      Participant

I don’t have an external I went to the track on Friday to try and start it and there’s is broken. Figures. Short of buying one I’m stuck on that one

Ric mcDade
      Participant

Call Jim Russell Jr at Russell Karting. 1-888-karting. He’s a guru. If he doesn’t fix them, let me know.

Mark Lockett
      Participant

I will tomorrow. Thanks man. I need to drive SOON :-)

Samir Shah
      Participant

The first time we took our Leopard out, it had a weak battery. Cranking plus a push started it. (I tried a drill and impact wrench to start it, not enough torque.)

So, since it just took a push to start it, instead of an external starter, could one wrap a strap around a tire (on the stand), and pull it to simulate an external starter? Make sure the strap is not too long so it does not pull you in or get trapped on the chain in the event it starts.

Samir.

Ric mcDade
      Participant

Mark, I think Samir is thinking of a shifter. You can’t push start a leopard, unless he had it set up with direct drive.

Samir Shah
      Participant

Yeah, since it has a clutch, push starting alone won’t work. You need to get up enough RPMs to engage the clutch to turn the engine. I bet an external pull start will work too – I’ve seen animal engines being started with a pull start instead of an external battery powered starter, so that could work here too. You might be able to find a pull starter cheap at a garden appliance repair shop.

My suggestion was not to push start, but to use a strap on a tire – mimicking the pull starter. I think I’ve seen a strap being used at the track too.

Samir.

tony zambos
      Participant

A strap around the rear tire? Think about that. All you’re going to do is spin the clutch drum. It takes engine RPM to engage the clutch.

Samir Shah
      Participant

I found this on youtube – guy starts kart with a strap. Will it only work on a shifter?

tony zambos
      Participant

Think about this. Was the kart in gear?

Jim Derrig
      Participant

Only works with a shifter because it can be put in gear thus creating a direct mechanical path between the tire and the crankshaft, even at zero rpm.  You need an external starter for a Leopard, as the starter fits on a nut that is affixed to the crankshaft.

Mark, you say “no spark.”  Do you mean that literally?  You should be able to remove the plug, attach it to the plug wire, ground the end of the plug to the motor (e.g., hold it on the motor with a rubber handled pliers) and then crank the motor.  Since there is no compression with the plug out, the motor should spin easily even if the starter is weak.  You should see a spark jumping from the electrode to ground.  If not, the starter is not your most immediate problem.  If there is a spark, then perhaps the motor just isn’t spinning fast enough to start when cold.  Are you choking it by putting your hand over the air box intakes?

Mark Lockett
      Participant

Grounded the plug to a head bolt and cranked it. No spark.

tony zambos
      Participant

Does the engine seem to turn over as fast as it did originally did while cranking?

Samir Shah
      Participant

The starter only has 1 plug – that is the positive, and connect that to the battery positive. Connect another wire to the battery negative, and when you touch the body of the starter with the other end of the negative wire, it should spin the starter.

Dan Brown
      Participant

Actually, leave the ground wire on the starter hooked up when you test it with the jumper wires. Just add the extra ground wire to the same place to touch to the external battery. That starter ground may be the main or only ground on your kart, if its unhooked it may not let the ignition function properly.

Mark Lockett
      Participant

I have push button style. I’ll try the jumper wire thing I just got off the phone with Russell. They’ll rebuild my power packs.

Samir Shah
      Participant

Did you check the fuse? There is a 5A fuse inside the power pack, according to the manual. (see the last page). Also check that the screws holding individual wires inside the power pack did not vibrate loose and allow a wire disconnection.

Did you check the spade connector on the side of the coil? Clean? Connected?

Almost every section of the troubleshooting guide Item 16 of manual mentions a power pack internal bad connection or failure.

Samir

tony zambos
      Participant

The earlier version of the push button box did have a fuse that could be replaced. Later models were epoxy filled and there was no access to any of the electrical components within the box.

Ric mcDade
      Participant

Ok, now I’m confused, how did you crank it with the plug out, if nothing happens when you hit the starter button.

Mark Lockett
      Participant

It was hooked up to my battery charger on engine start mode. It’s the only way I could get it to crank. It was killing my batteries though

Mark Lockett
      Participant

Both of mine are epoxy filled. They weren’t identical inside though

Ric mcDade
      Participant

I think you just need a new starter relay. Easy enough, even with epoxy filled boxes.

Mark Lockett
      Participant

My boxes got sent to Russell today. Hopefully my nightmare is over after that

Sean S
      Participant

I replied but didn’t see the second page of troubleshooting, so edited/removed my post. Hopefully that works for you.

Tony Kart / Leopard

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.