Home Forums Shifter Karts Do you recommend this shifter kart?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris Stylianou
      Participant

Looking to get first shifter kart. Hard to find in my area but the one I’m looking at is shown in the link below. This is all knew to me so please give me your thoughts on the kart and price. Thanks!

Steen Carstensen
      Participant

That is NOT a shifter kart, it’s a TAG kart, and in my mind way overpriced. You can do way better than that on a TAG. If you want to buy it, offer him $ 1500.

Chris Stylianou
        Participant

Oh wow thanks for letting me know. Would you know of any sites to find a decent shifter kart? Other than Craigslist and eBay? This is all knew to me.

Steen Carstensen
      Participant

You can look in the classified section on this forum, there are a few shifter karts for sale. If you are new to karting, I would recommend NOT starting in a shifter, most new drivers will be in over their head. Go to your local track and see what classes they race, talk to the drivers, and then make a decision from that.

Chris Stylianou
        Participant

I have experience with street cars on tracks and i used to race dirt bikes with the same 125cc 2 stroke engine so I think I just might jump right onto a shifter. It it really that crazy for a beginner to be using a shifter?

Chuck hurlbert
      Participant

Yes a shifter is that intense.  The biggest hurdle is the amount of thinking involved bc of the gears.  The other issue is strength/conditioning.  U should have an advantage bc of motocross but don’t be surprised when u get overwhelmed.

As said above.  If u haven’t been to the track , that is step one.  Pick a class with people in it bc racing by your self sucks.

Dale Daugherty
      Participant

I have experience with street cars on tracks and i used to race dirt bikes with the same 125cc 2 stroke engine so I think I just might jump right onto a shifter. It it really that crazy for a beginner to be using a shifter?

I jumped straight into a shifter this year. To be perfectly clear, I spent quite a while running the rental karts at Driveway Austin, and was consistently at the sharp end of the timesheets. I was very, very well aware of what I was getting into, since I have been sitting on the sidelines for about three years now, just observing. I decided to skip TAG/Rotax and dive into the deep end.

It IS that crazy for a beginner to jump into a shifter. They are terrifying in terms of speed and ability, and I am not even pushing that hard yet. It is a decision only you can make. Is it possible? Absolutely. Is there a better way? Depends on what your eventual goal and budget looks like. I feel confident that I would have benefitted from going TAG first; however, I made a decision based on budget and time. I like the low maintenance and low cost of running the shifter. It is a bigger initial investment, but I feel I would rather have the challenge of learning the shifter instead of the burden of maintaining a TAG.

You are the best judge of your own abilities. Having said that, you better have tons of confidence, and loads of patience to start slow and work your way up. If you think you are going to dive right in and hang with the big boys, I fear you will be in for a rude awakening. I have a mountain to climb in order to get proficient enough to go wheel to wheel in Stock Honda. But I like climbing mountains. I like the challenge. And I have loads of respect for what this kart can do to me if I get it wrong.

Cheers!

2010 Spirit [Birel] SP32 // SRS CR125 - Stock Honda [#08]
      Hill Country Kart Club - New Braunfels, Texas - http://daledaugherty.wordpress.com/

Chris Stylianou
        Participant

Thanks for all the good information Dale. I’ve decided to just start off with a 125cc TaG.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.