Home Forums Road Racing Daytona Road Race 2014

This topic contains 42 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff Wesell 4 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

John Crider
    Participant

Any Road Racers wanting to Go to Daytona this year and Your anywhere in between Kansas and Daytona We have room in our trailer for a Kart or Two and need help driving there. We also have one Kart available for a rent a ride in any of the Yamaha classes. Contact Myself or Mark McNaught. With the cost of getting there splitting these cost will help us all. Thanks and Lets go to Daytona!

Kelly Read
    Participant

John,

Thanks for the offer. As of now we plan to take either a small or medium trailer. Going to depend on if Brad can get off but that’s not looking good so it will probably be me, Lindsay and her mother coming.

We will see you there.

Jim Fry
    Participant

Anyone wanting/needing a winning kart for Daytona we just listed Brandon’s Laydown kart in the EKN’s classifieds. It is all setup and ready to run in the Controlled, Spec and Formula 100 classes. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions. Thanks, Jim Fry.

Glen Luening
    Participant

I am thinking of running Daytona for the first time this year. Does anyone know where I can find the rules for the wka 125 class?

John Crider
    Participant

You need the 2014 WKA Rule Book for the exact specs. But if Your Kart will pass pre race tech there should be a class You can run in. Go to the WKA web page for more info. Hope to see You there. It’s a great time.

Glen Luening
    Participant

Thanks for the advise John. Nut I was trying to not buy an outdated book for this race and beyond. Just wondering if it is basically the same as the cik125 but with a gman nose,  and the weight?

Bruce Peck
    Participant

Info from the WKA website

http://worldkarting.com/index.php/series/vega-tire-tsracing-road-racing-series/88-rr-series/201-sprint-rr-classes

362.8 WKA 125 SHIFTER Final 1 & Final 2:
    DRIVER REQ: Age 18 and older. Road Race Class 2 Shifter license.
    ENGINES: (1) Mass produced, single-cylinder, motorcycle engines of up to 125cc displacement, currently available production, approved by WKA: Honda CR Reed, Kawasaki KX Reed, Suzuki RM Reed, Yamaha YZ Reed, Gilera 125cc and TM Motocross will be allowed. (See Section 613 for specifications.) All engine specs must be unaltered OEM parts unless otherwise specified in this manual. All competitors must be prepared to produce verification documentation of proper dimensions and component data for the engine utilized for competition prior to the time of post tech inspection. (2) ICC engines with homologated pipe and 30 mm carburetor.
    EXHAUST: Motorcycle engines – Any fixed WKA approved pipe (No adjustable pipes allowed) with silencer. ICC engines – stock homologated ICC pipe and silencer.
    INTAKE SILENCER: ICC requires stock, homologated airbox. Motorcycle requires airbox (See 551.4.2) and/or air filter. Where specific track or ordinances requires the use of an airbox, this will be noted on entry form. Competitor is responsible to maintain compliance with any rules or ordinances regarding noise regulation.
    ∆FUEL: Open Fuel.
    MINIMUM WEIGHTS: CIK bodywork – 410 lbs., WKA bodywork – 430 lbs.
    TIRES: Open Compound, 5″ or 6″ Diameter Rims, Rear Tires 7.00″ Min. Width
    OTHER: (1) CIK style bodywork allowed, either conforming to all dimensions listed in Section 200 (except the forward “C” dimension) or CIK approved bodywork that is readily available at least 90 days prior to the beginning of the racing season. Carbon fiber, Kevlar and metal are not legal construction materials for nose, side pods and steering fairing. (2) Radiator must be mounted on the right or left side of the driver between the tires. (3) All karts must use rear bumper rule 359.3.5. (4) Standing start procedure utilized. (5) Rear track width must be a minimum of 50″ and a maximum of 55 1/8″ on karts using CIK style bodywork. (6) Must use the 125 Sprint Shifter Seat rule described in Section 360.4.4. (7) No butterfly style steering wheels allowed. (8) WKA 125 Shifter runs both race days for a single championship. (9) WKA sprint bodywork allowed; bumper and nerf bar rules apply to these karts except that the minimum bodywork width as defined in 358.6.6 shall be 42″. Either CIK style side pods or Sprint Enduro side panels are allowed.

Glen Luening
    Participant

Thanks Bruce.

johndemartino
    Participant

Looking for an arrive and drive for any shifter class at Daytona… experienced racer looking for some seat time.

Kerry Matthews
    Participant

Anyone on here know who to contact for renting a golf cart at Daytona?  I had a card from a guy who was doing it when I was there in 2011, but I called him today and he’s no longer involved with it.  Anybody there last year rent a golf cart?  If so, who did you rent from?

Problem solved.  ISC (Daytona Speedway) rents the karts.  I’m first on the list.

David Cole
    Keymaster

Hey John,

Check with http://www.drt-racing.com/Home.html to see if they are attending Daytona. Many of the shifter kart drivers in WKA RR are on a DR Kart.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Jeff Wesell
    Participant

Entry Form is up!

http://worldkarting.com/downloads/eb-2015/2014_daytona_rr.pdf

Streeter Super Stands
    "Roll with The Best!"
    streetersupertands.com

Glen Luening
    Participant

What no WKA 125 class this year? Oh well guess I wont be attending my first ever Daytona race. I can’t run in regular  shifter I am to heavy for that class. oh well have fun boys.

Gene Davis
      Participant

Keith will be posting any class changes in a pit board.

Glen – WKA and CIK shifter was combined into 125 Shifter Final 1 & Final 2. The weights are 390# for Stock Honda and CIK bodywork, 400# for Modified motor and CIK bodywork, and 420# for WKA bodywork.

In 2014 we only had 14 total entries in the WKA shifter class and 10 of those were at Daytona. Grattan, VIR, NCCAR, and Summit Point had no entries. That is the reason for the combination.

Gene

Kelly Read
        Participant

Where can a person find what the 2013 lap times were???   Mainly looking for the Stock Leopard and the laydown piston port medium and heavy classes.

On another note, has WKA ever discussed just having one laydown piston port class??  Say use the Medium weights!!!

I sent WKA a e-mail yesterday with a couple of questions and haven’t heard back yet  but thought maybe someone here could answer:

Fuel: 1) Are we allowed to mix the allowed oils??  I mix both a castor and a synthetic to knock down the carbon. Both are on the approved list.

2) Is sheet lead legal??  With the weights for the classes Lindsay is running, being able to bolt some sheet lead in her seat would be helpful. DAM kid!!!!!!!

Chris Hegar
    Participant

Kelly I think you should probably vote for Heavy piston port instead of medium. Pants looked a little tight last month, I think your odds of making weight would be greater going HEAVY. I mean yea you got a nice ass and all but overall I think victory for you might be in the tank ass class.

;-)

David Cole
    Keymaster

WKA website has link to the Mylaps results from last year: http://worldkarting.com/index.php/series/vega-tire-tsracing-road-racing-series

Watch out for my dad in Stock Leopard….hahaha

Kelly Read
      Participant

HEY David!!!!!!

I must be blind (no comments)!!!!  I don’t find Daytona 2013 mylaps on WKA web site. Can you help a FRIEND out???

Ray Chiappe
    Participant

I want to run there once before I retire!! Shooting for next year!!

Kelly Read
      Participant

Chris,

1) You seen how THE MAN is as a race director (KICK A$$)!!!! Imagine what he is like behind the wheel!!!!! Now would any class really want THE MAN there????????

2) I win ENOUGH, it’s Lindsay’s turn!!!!!!! Just wish she had part of my A$$ (weight)…

David,

I’m sure she will look out for him as she laps him!!!  LOLLOLLOLLOL!!!!  It has been 2 years since she last ran a tag but, she went 4 -4 just to let you know plus, I taught her what she knows but not everything I know!!!!!!!!!!!! Has her mom’s brains but part of my talent!!!! Were going to run the sit-up piston port classes until I sold that kart this past weekend.

We are looking forward in seeing people we haven’t seen in a few years let alone giving Lindsay the Daytona venture. It will be fun!!!

Glen Luening
    Participant

Thanks Gene. I assume it is not just stock Hondas but ICC’s as well?

Gene Davis
    Participant

Glen,

Yes ICC’s are legal

Gene Davis
    Participant

I want to thank everyone that has supported what I have tried to accomplish as road race chairman over the years.  Effective 10/31/14 I have resigned as both chairman and CFO of WKA. Good luck to everyone traveling to Daytona.

Gene

Cliff Brannon
      Participant

Gene

thank you for your support of road racing.

cliff

B-Stock
      Formula100

Jim White
    Participant

Anyone know where to find the rules for “open sprint”?
    I’ve got the 14 rulebook and I don’t see it listed nor do I see it on the website. Mostly interested in if the wide rear bumper is mandatory since I don’t have one.
    Since we are driving 3,000 miles I’m kicking around the idea of bringing the IKF “superstock” kart as well as the 250. After all were spending whats another $100 dollar entry fee in the big picture?

johndemartino
    Participant

Could someone point me towards a track map/configuration for the WKA Daytona road race? Thank you.

Jim Fry
    Participant

Gene,

Sorry to see you go. You did a great job for a long time. Thanks for your service.

Kerry Matthews
    Participant

John, we run the road course configuration, which is what the Rolex 24 runs, but we don’t use the ‘bus stop’ on the back straight.

Glen Luening
    Participant

Does anyone know if I need anything special to run shifter. I see it says you need a class two license? I have run shifters in CES for years now.

Jeff Wesell
    Participant

Your past experience should be sufficient when “applying” for your WKA Class 2 License Glen.

Streeter Super Stands
    "Roll with The Best!"
    streetersupertands.com

Kerry Matthews
    Participant

I JUST talked to WKA on the phone about this.  On your registration, put ‘temporary’ on your registration form, and apply and pay the $20 at Daytona for your temporary license.  They’ll ask about your previous Road Racing experience, and issue you your license.

Glen Luening
    Participant

Thanks Jeff and Kerry. I will look up down there Jeff, be good to see you again.

Jeff Wesell
    Participant

Looking forward to seeing you too you my friend.  We’ll be in Garage #53
    If you need any other information regarding Daytona (lodging, good places to go, etc) don’t hesitate to get a hold of me.  Been making this trip since ’92.  Always a fun time!

(262) 457-5018 shop
    jeffw@ghilaser.com

Streeter Super Stands
    "Roll with The Best!"
    streetersupertands.com

David Cole
    Keymaster

http://www.mylaps.com/en/events/982942

Kelly Read
      Participant

THANKS David, U really are my FRIEND!!!!!!  LOL

Keith Buffo
    Participant

Hard working, dedicated, warm, soft spoken, rational and never one to seek the spotlight. Man oh man, is road race ever going to miss you Gene Davis. Thank you for the years you’ve put toward keeping this rolling for the rest of us.

Don Guilbeault
      Participant

DRT Racing will be attending Daytona at both the road race and sprint track. Contact Don at info@drt-racing for anything we can help you with. We offer arrive and drive packages for either event and as usual will have anything you need from tire’s, oil, spare parts to complete chassis.

Don’t wait till Christmas eve to place your order’s for all your karting needs. Have a great holiday season!  See you there.

Don Guilbeault

Kelly Read
        Participant

Question on lap times.

What is a fast lap for the below classes??

Stock Leopard (seen 2:36 on 1st day and 2:34 on 2nd day)??

Piston port medium (laydown)?? Think it got rained out in 2013.

Piston port heavy (laydown)??

Bruce Peck
    Participant

Kelly:

Last year’s times (best time for winner):
    Piston Port Hvy (100cc Pipe Hvy) – Rained out
    100cc Pipe Med – 2:23.2
    Stock Leopard Day 1 – 2:35 (they got this one in before the rain)
    Stock Leopard Day 2 – 2:33
    http://www.mylaps.com/en/events/982942

For 2012:
    100cc Pipe Hvy – 2:23.8
    100cc Pipe Med – 2:23.6 (Pierce Baldus ran a 2:21 but he and Bernie were DQ’d I think because they had not modified their P-51’s to WKA rules)
    Stock Leopard Day 1 – 2:32.8
    Stock Leopard Day 2 – 2:33.1
    http://www.mylaps.com/en/events/862828

David Cole
    Keymaster

That means if you don’t hit 2:31 in the Stock Leopard, your slow ;)

Kelly Read
      Participant

David,

Lindsay wants to know why she has to SLOW down???  2:28 maybe a 2:29 as slow as she plans to go!!!  LOL

Bruce,

THANKS a bunch!!!  U b our friend not David now!!!!

We are looking forward in coming to Daytona for Lindsay’s first time and seeing all the friends that we have meet over the years when we came east to race in the past. Rather she runs good or not, you can count on MT POCKETS RACING  on coming to have a GREAT time!!! Heck we might even bring some extra toilet paper, etc to remember us by when we leave like we were accused of at Barber!!!!!!!  We will be in the garages next to Fulks. Come by and see us maybe we will give you some hints on how to go fast!!  NOT……  LMAO

THE MAN

Kelly Read
        Participant

MT POCKETS RACING all loaded and trailer put away!!!!!!!!! Got everything but the kitchen sink in the trailer. I did leave room to put Lindsay in there as 24 hour drive there is NO WAY I want her plus her mom in the truck with me!!!!!!  Headn out at 2:00 on the 24th.

LET’S GO RACING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE MAN

Jeff Wesell
    Participant

Looking forward to seeing you all!   Safe Travels to all heading to Daytona!

Streeter Super Stands
    "Roll with The Best!"
    streetersupertands.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.