Home Forums Road Racing Daytona 13' (NOW WITH VIDEO!)

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author
      Robert Lawson
      Participant

I see Man Cup has an entry form and schedule but nothing on the RR yet.

Someone started polluting me on the idea of heading to the Beach for Christmas yesterday so I figured it was time to look into it.

When can we expect a schedule for the Speedway?

RPM

Gene Davis
      Participant

Soon

Move in the 27th, practice the 28th, race the 29th and 30th.

Not many changes to the daily schedule. Moved a few classes around at the request of the competitors.

Everyone is putting all their time in finalizing the tech manual that is why the daily schedule has not been published.

Gene

Kelly Read
      Participant

Gene,

I have been asked if the full rear bumper is required at Daytona, is it??  If so, can you give me some details of what classes and what constitute a full bumper??

Thanks

THE MAN

Robert Lawson
      Participant

Geno,

Is the weekend membership offered on a “pre-entry” form?

I’ll do the yearly since we’ll do both the Nats up here in 14′ but the other guys……not sure.

Would like a garage so we’ll be pre-entering.

Tryin to get a head start…..on what is needed that is!

Thanks

RPM

Gene Davis
      Participant

Kelly – full width rear bumpers on enduro is recommended but not required. Sprints the rear bumper must extend when looking from the rear of the kart must extend to at least the middle of the tire.

Robert – You can only purchase the temp membership at the track.

If you did not see the pit board the entry form is on the WKA site.

Gene

Kelly Read
      Participant

Thanks Gene, I will pass it on.

What are the weights for the laydown Piston Port medium & heavy classes?? Of course we would be running the Comer P-51 and I believe they have to weigh more??

Check your personal e-mail please. We at KART/MARRS is putting together our 2014 schedule and we want to do what we can to help other national races if at possible.

Robert Lawson
      Participant

ATTENTION: Non WKA members

Just got an answer from Keith @ WKA (thanks for the quick response!) about non members and pre-entry.

Non members, that will require a “temporary” license CAN pre-enter by writing “TEMP” in the license # space on the form.

The temporary membership fee and paperwork will need to be executed when picking up your pre-entry packet upon arrival. All temp memberships are handled at the Event.

So, they just made it SUPER EASY, CONVIENIENT and AFFORDABLE to attend for non members by allowing this procedure.

Thanks WKA and all involved in the organization and execution of this event.

Looking forward to it!

RPM

Mike Haymes
      Participant

Hello,

I am a new owner of a shifter kart and live in Daytona Beach and am planning on attending kart week in December. I had a few questions I was hoping for some help on.

I’m looking for advise on gearing for the enduro shifter class. what size main drive and rear sprocket should I look into to be competitive?

I couldn’t find any of the rules on tire restrictions. is it open or is there a specific tire everyone runs?

If open any reccomendations?

lastly, on the registration form there are 2 125 shifter enduro classes, CIK and WKA. What is the difference?

thak you for your help!

-Michael

Bruce Peck
      Participant

The basic class info is online.  The sprint classes are at this link so it may provide some info to Mike’s question about the difference between CIK and WKA Shifter classes.

http://worldkarting.com/index.php/series/vega-tire-tsracing-road-racing-series/88-rr-series/201-sprint-rr-classes

More detail would have to be obtained from the WKA tech manual.

Mike Arnold
      Participant

Is the configuration (pit exit) going to change to the Rolex configuration instead of the motorcycle configuration.  I don’t think the motorcycle configuration is safe for karts.   Last reason I heard was due to the curbs but can someone confirm this.

Thanks,

Mike

Gregory Stamm
      Participant

Hey Guys,  I am looking for a garage to share or a space to rent.  I will be coming down with an open trailer and mainly looking for a place to put the kart at night.  I will have one kart and minimum tools and equipment.  If you have something available please call me direct, 248-930-7700.  Thanks

Robert Lawson
      Participant

Greg,

We have a garage rented, if you need somewhere to store/work on your kart you are always welcome with us.

Just 2 of us in there, plenty of room.

RPM

Gregory Stamm
        Participant

Robert,

Thanks, let me know what my share of the cost it and I can pay you at the track.

Greg

Robert Lawson
      Participant

Greg,

We’ll figure it out down there. If we still get a confirmation like the old days I’ll buzz you with a garage # so you know where it is.

What class/group will you be racing? We will run the Practice Day and the Unlimited classes so were there for the duration.

With the weather change here I’m getting more and more antsy, looking forward to it!

RPM

Gregory Stamm
        Participant

Robert,

I am bringing my 125. Motive kart.  Planning on running f125 and unlimited.  Definitely running the practice day.  I am still trying to get the kart sorted out, plenty of changes to work on.

Greg

Jim Fry
      Participant

Brandon Fry’s road race laydown kart is back for sale. The buyer decided the kart was not ‘pristine’. So if you are interested in a not so pristine 130 mph missile capable of winning 6 classes at Daytona please contact me. Details on the kart can be found in the EKN classifieds.

Brian Wilhelm
      Participant

Only 5 weeks to go!

Jim Fry
      Participant

Robert,

Yep your young Michigan friend bought my kart. It is all setup for Daytona, just like my son’s karts. Glad to hear you are helping him get to Daytona. Good luck getting your stuff ready.

Robert Lawson
      Participant

JF,

Will you be at the Speedway?

RPM

Jim Fry
      Participant

Robert, yes I will be at Daytona racing in TaG Masters on the Man Cup side.

Robert Lawson
      Participant

Just a couple weeks to go now….

Roof is on, garage is toasty, 1 kart down and 1 to go.

The recent weather has lit the fuse, I’m ready to burn rubber outta here tomorrow!!!!! (MY kart is finished!!!!!)

Brian Wilhelm
      Participant

I’m looking forward to seeing everyone in Daytona! Drive safe.

Eric Stockford
      Participant

We have two sprinter ready to load heading down next week.

See you all there

Eric

Robert Lawson
      Participant

We are locked & loaded!

Pulling out of the fair City of Detroit first thing tomorrow. Nothing like waking up early Christmas morning, get the rig warmed and start heading toward the Beach!!!!!!

Looking forward to it, Merry Christmas and safe trip to all.

RPM

Jeff Metter
      Participant

Robert..I will race with you anytime my friend..Yes..that was a blast and made up for what would have been a tough weekend..thank you !! and well done…!!

Congratulations to Brian Wilhelm, Bobby Butler , Mitch White, Robby Harper etc etc…

Nice racing guys !!!

Special thanks to the WKA staff for making the best of crappy weather and getting us out there as much as possible..thanks !!

Robert Lawson
      Participant

Jeff,

If you make it to Grattan or M-O we’ll give it another go! I think the Gas Gas will get the best of us at those circuits, but we’ll try. I’ll have to get you a copy of the Daytona race, I can’t stop watching it!!!!!

I know my crew enjoyed the race for the lead, “very exciting race of inches” they said.

Those guys were the class of the field, a well rounded competitive field at that.

Congrats to all the winners at kart week, deserving every one.

Didn’t make it to the Man Cup event but did stop on the way out Saturday for the Dirt consi’s. Always exciting that Dirt stuff.

Did anyone else get video????

RPM

Robert Lawson
      Participant

Mylaps is up.

Quite surprising the lap time difference between a true B-Stk (12-29-13) and their Unltd (12-30-13) counter part.

How many of the twin guys used bigger displacement engines on Monday? I heard of this at the event but it didn’t register.

Feel that much better about our result now!

RPM

Robert Lawson
      Participant

Hmmmm, after viewing the video for the 20th time I found an anomaly!

Not sure if this page will come up but check the link…..

http://www.mylaps.com/en/lapchart/2952091

Would love to know how the #90 went from 9th to 1st on the 6th lap. That car turned a 1:22. :) That’s a 42+ second jump from the previous lap time!

Must have been flying, literally! He never cam past us in the video.

These onboard video’s are invaluable. As my Bro pointed out……I made a lot of mistakes! They will also drive you nuts….OR, prove your not. Knew I saw an Ambulance heading out of the Speedway during the race. Finally found it on the video…Wife thought I was seeing things!!!!!

My day just keeps getting better. ;)

RPM

Bobby Butler
      Participant

Ok Mr. Larson …please explain your concern about any  twins using larger displacements.

I and others would like to hear more about your  previous comment.

Brian Wilhelm
      Participant

Bobby, what Robert is saying is that several of the B-Stock guys (two 100cc Controlled Motors) put on Sudam 125cc motors to run in Unlimited. The ones I know of are Robby Harper, Robby Harper III, and Johnny Howard. As I understand it, Craig Keller is running two 100cc modified motors. That’s one of the cool things about Unlimited, many combinations are legal.

Robert Lawson
      Participant

Listen, I’m just poking fun Bobby.

Brian made a statement at the track about “bigger displacement” and I should of asked questions then. It sounded as though he was joking and I didn’t want to look like an idiot. I had no idea this was a common occurrence with a few of the B-Stk karts. It’s completely legal, never questioned that.

I was not suggesting any wrong doing…..other than the scoring issue. With Race Cast available through out practice day, and we were watching it, finding your place in the Q is easy and super handy. And, in this case, now being aware of the rules for each class on different days, a little misleading.

It’s obvious there was an electronic gremlin of some kind involving the kart/transponder in question. No harm – No foul. I do not race for points so it really isn’t an issue……except for my ego. Which is now recovering nicely! :)

I commend these guys for finding a way to keep their class of kart active. B-Stk karts are anything but cheap to maintain. Adding a second pair (or more) of engines (and clutches, pipes, etc.) for a specific formula shows they are committed to the class.

Well aware of what the HUB boys are doing. We eyeballed Craig doing what we thought was testing for Daytona on helmet cam from MIS in September. Just happy to have them back, in any form. The HUB brand is iconic to us lifers. My Pops had many tight races with Neil and Jerry back in the day. Straight up good guys!

I’ll move on now….

RPM

Robert Lawson
      Participant

It only took 8 months, 10 days, and 336 minutes of upload time…..but it’s here:

Enjoy the ride, I know I did!!!!!!

RPM

PS: Jeff Meter was driving a PVP/Gas-Gas, not an Anderson

Bobby Butler
      Participant

Great timing Robert, always fun to watch some good old Datona lapping!

Your efforts putting up this footage will get some , if not all of us , into the necessary Daytona mind-set.

Thanks and see ya’ll at the beach.

Bobby Butler

Robert Lawson
      Participant

Hey Bobby,

Yeah were getting to that point in the year where all you can think about is the Beach……and rebuild parts!!!!

My Kid has a condo down there now so no need to book rooms!!!!! That’s a bonus, she’s close to the Speedway and Krispy Kreme is on the route too. :)

I dig the Unltd class, more guys to race with and a better chance to run with someone. That 2nd day race was good fun, looking forward to it again!

RPM

Robert Lawson
      Participant

Mike,

I believe your tire question was answered on the other forum. A shifter class Road Racer (or WKA official) will have to help you with the specific regs for each of these class options.

This raises yet another issue, with no “online” rules and regs it’s very tough for a TEMP member to be sure which class to choose if pre-entering. Especially when time is short to take advantage of pre registering.

I know why it isn’t downloadable (insurance requirements/lack of compensation) and they are solid reasons no doubt. But, we as participants, should question and be concerned that TEMP members may not be completely educated or compliant with these rules/regs. There needs to be a way for TEMP members to secure the proper info before attending an event, after all, they do pay a fee for the right to compete.

If you get no input here contact Keith @ WKA : keith@worldkarting.com
      and ask for some guidance on class choice.

RPM

Robert Lawson
      Participant

Thanks for the count down Brian!!!! Like sand in an hour glass it moves too slowly. Unless of course you have not touched anything yet. Like me!!!!! Tried to sneak in a few long over due projects before Daytona and hit a snag, or 2!

Jim,

I find that EXTREMELY hard to believe. Spoke to a VERY excited young man up here last night with a new ride from Fry Racing and he’s over the moon happy with his purchase! Were going to make room for him in the trailer so he can join the rest of us crazies in Fla. I gave him and his Dad the best (and most logical) advice I could on running this kart…….DON’T TOUCH ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!

Sure hope you are around down there, I made it clear I will be of little or no assistance when it comes to modern day air cooled 100cc stuff. Now, a K88 or K78 is another story!!!!!! :)

My garage has no shingles on it, after tearing it off Rich and I both agree were too bloody old to be doing this $hit!!!! We got it ready for a new roof, one of my In-Laws is supposed to finish it up. All the material is here but the weather has not cooperated, it kept raining on his only day off! The tarp survived 50+mph winds the other day but now it’s colder than a well diggers hind parts out there! We’ll get back on track once it’s done and start making progress prepping for Daytona.

Now if I can come up with a plan to sneak my CBR250R into the trailer my Holiday season will be perfect! Love my new little bike, was worth every mile to Atlanta and back. (Thanks Freewheeling Honda!)

RPM

Jeff Wesell
      Participant

^^^ +1 for that from all of us as well. ^^^

Safe travels all. We’ll be pulling out from the shop this Friday – see you all at the Speedway after Christmas!

Swing on in and say hi to Shari and I over in Garage 55.

Jeff Wesell
      Streeter Super Stands

Streeter Super Stands
      "Roll with The Best!"
      streetersupertands.com

Robert Lawson
      Participant

Daytona is very much alive and well, great to see the healthy turn out!

Yes the weather was challenging but the Officials and WKA did a fine job getting us as much time on track as possible. Even the DIS Nazi’s were pleasant this year!!!!! A very pleasant surprise to see a more relaxed attitude with paddock/garage parking and portable transportation. Even saw a few very well mannered pets. Always nice when the entire family can attend. ;)

Brandon, Chuck, Jerry the other Officials and the Girls in reg were awesome in the face of adverse conditions. Great job folks!!!!!

Very satisfied with the performance of our little ICC spec F-125. I got a 2:03.5 with a top speed of 137 on the MyChron. Had a titanic tug-o-war with Jeff Metter in Ultd. 2….very clean and sportsman like battle. Good race Jeff, that was huge fun! The helmet cam shows just how crazy the first few laps really were in the middle of the pack. Really had to be on your toes for sure. Good to see the Unltd. class so healthy with more entries than both sprint shifter classes in the same race group combined!

Thanks to everyone we spoke with sharing info on air/weather and their approach, greatly appreciated!!!!

BIG thank you to Tom Barth (getting better I hear!!!!!!) for the carb set-up and Larry Rumsey for “the coin flip” that decided our jet choice for the race!!!!!

Can’t forget Bill at UTEC for the weekend sponsorship package that got us down there, you helped make our positive result a reality.

Hope everyone made it home safe and beat the storms just in time like we did!

Really looking forward to the Nationals in our region in 14′ and a return to the Beach next December.

Have a safe and prosperous New Year everyone!!!!!!!!!!

RPM

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.