Home Forums Briggs & Stratton 4-Cycle Racing Briggs LO206 Cut third bearing to mount LO206?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Scott Sawyer
      Participant

I’m looking at an 11 Arrow AX9, but I have a concern. Seller told me the guy he bought it from cut out the third bearing on the rear axle to mount the motor. Is this common? Seems like a big red flag but I wanted to get an opinion from some people running the class. TIA!

Bernie Lacotta
      Participant

Arrow does not supply a bearing or cassette for the 3rd bearing on 4 cycle AX 9″s. I recently refurbished an AX9 4s and removed the third bearing mount and a few other pieces I knew I wouldn’t need on the kart from my previous experience with this model. My all time favorite kart by the way!

Scott Sawyer
      Participant

He did say it was a Yamaha kart before getting converted. Sounds like it isn’t anything to run away from, guess I’ll go take a look. Thanks!

David Meade
      Participant

It may simply be the third bearing is not installed, which is common. The term cut out may be misused.

steve vermeer
      Participant

I nipped the carrier and some unnecessary frame tubing off of my arrow.Removed about 4 1/2 lbs and made a bunch more room to work.Kart races better than I do…

Scott Sawyer
      Participant

Well, the shifter went to it’s new home today so I pulled the trigger on the Arrow. Still on the trailer in the basement, can’t wait to get this thing on track. Thanks for the advice!

James Frantz
      Participant

There are some chassis that have a 3rd axle bearing and welded on seat struts that are really hard to mount a  LO 206 on. Often times they have welded on seat struts that get in the way of the clutch and chain. Removing this seat strut and replacing it with a bolt on strut usually solves the problem. In fact removing the other seat strut makes your life a whole lot simpler since you can now put the seat wherever you need to to get the motor clearance and weight distribution.

Jimbo

http://www.fastermotors.net

Pat Collins
      Participant

Scott

I bought an Arrow AX09 from KartSport last August with a LO206 on board. They used a jackshaft to get things right without cutting things up. The third bearing is held in place with zip ties so it can run loose. It has worked very well for my son running LO206 Jr ( Gold slide ) at Gopro as well as Carolina Motorsports Park.

Pat Collins

James Frantz
      Participant

No offense Pat but keep in mind that adding additional shafts and chain consumes horsepower. Personally, that’s not something i would want to do with a LO 206. In my opinion jackshafts are also kind of pricy.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.