Home Forums Shifter Karts Cr125 Top Speed World Record?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      brian heaton
      Participant

Just wondering if anyone knew if there is a official/unofficial record for top speed in a Sprint kart chassis?

I read about a company running a 125cc (Honda) turbocharged in a heavily modified dirt bike frame that pulled 144mph.

Then some guy on you tube with a turbine engine. But seriously..

just a normal sprint type chassis and a Honda 125cc. Modded of course.

Thanks guys

James McMahon
      Participant

Road races usually 105-110 with CIK bodywork. Maybe 115 is your in a serious draft pack and geared appropriately.

brian heaton
      Participant

I guess I meant to say Guinness Book of Worlds Records type speeds. Salt flats type of speeds.

Not in a actual race.

James McMahon
      Participant

Dont think such a record was attempted with a CR125, karts have been banned from the flats for a while too. CIK bodywork is about as aerodynamic as a house gable so to be honest, the top speed would prettymuch be the same at the salt flats or Daytona, power to drag ratio is pretty poor. Start laying back and down though and things change significantly.

It’s all about aero, I believe there was an 80 cc (maybe even 50cc) two stroke turbocharged bike that topped 140 some time ago on the salt flats. Ive also seen a picture of a kart that the driver was laying completely flat on stomach, facing forward. Get a CR125 on that and you should be humming along at 140ish.

But otherwise, I don’t believe such an attempt was made before karts were excluded from the salt flats.

Chris Reinhardt
      Participant

I looked into it years ago, they wanted a roll cage so like Jim said it’s a no go for karts.

The classification was up to 250cc from what I remember for 4 wheels, so I don’t believe any record exist for 125’s…

Somebody did do a 250 kart from what I remember, probably for bragging rights….

There’s a couple of airports land speed tracks around, they might have different rules…

Good luck!!!

Chris Reinhardt

CR2 Motorsports

http://www.cr2motorsports.webs.com/

XV Racing Products

http://www.xvengineering.com/

­­

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.