Home Forums General Karting Discussion CR125 clutch problem!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Diego Zometa 4 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Diego Zometa
    Participant

Sup guys,
    So, I havent raced my shifter in 4 months and today we tried to take for a spin, but an issue came up. Okay well here is the problem, When i pull in the clutch on my kart while it is in first gear the wheel keeps spinning as if it is still in gear.I have adjusted the screw closest to the clutch lever. What do i have to do to get the tire to spin freely when i engage the clutch?
    what do you guys think the problem may be?

Im second!

Dave Hosie
    Participant

Sounds like a stuck clutch plate, did you try driving it? Some oils can get sticky when left to sit, I would have tought that it would have released if you tried driving the kart to get the oil up to temp and pulled the clutch a couple of times while under load. Short of that I would drain the oil and take a look at the clutch.

Diego Zometa
      Participant

No, I didnt bc I thought I was going to mess it up even more. Im still doing some research on this bc some people say that is normal and some other say the grip discs are bad. I asked a few guys at … and they clearly dont know what they are talking aobut.

Im second!

Jason Bane
    Participant

If you just pull the clutch handle while the motor is running on the stand it may not release, all of my motors would still spin the wheel. To check you have to apply the break, and you may have to give the motor a little gas to keep it from stalling, but it should release. If it stays stuck, the clutch plates may have dried out like mentioned above.  I’ve had it happen once on a motor that sat for a year. The clutch discs got stuck together.  I took the clutch apart, re-oiled, re-assembled, and it worked great.

Diego Zometa
      Participant

I guess its the same if the motor is not running, right?
      for example: engine off, 1st gear, clutch in and wheel wont spin freely. is that still normal?

Im second!

Jason Bane
    Participant

Yes, that’s normal.

Richard Kirlin
    Participant

My cr did the same thing,  you need to put a load on the clutchplates  to free up the oil,  Drive it on the ground few times and she will disengage.

Diego Zometa
    Participant

yeah, I have a CR125 too. I;; give it a shot this weekend. Is it ok if I change oil before? I dont need to, but would that be better?

Im second!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.