Home Forums Tech Talk Comer 80 Testing spark Amp/volt output.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Gifford 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Harry Canoles
    Participant

What is the best method of testing ignition output on a Comer 80 or other Kart engines. I’m not talking about grounding a plug and looking for a spark.   I’m looking for a more precise way of measuring the spark.   I’m looking for a way to measure the amperage and voltage at the plug wire. And what is a good reading. I’ve had on occasion to suspect low amp/volt output.

tony zambos
    Participant

Harry,
    I can understand you wanting to be able to measure the output of a coil. To what ends and expense are you willing to go to? I can think of ways to measure the voltage, not sure about amps. Purchasing an oscilloscope or a tester from Fluke is going to be expensive. After you have purchased your tester(s) and you detect a marginal output, you now still have to purchase a new coil. Do you really want to know the output of a coil or do you want your engine to run? IMO – Purchase a spare coil and make sure it works before going to the track.

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Walt Gifford
    Participant

My experience has been that a coil will cut out all together or work intermittently usually cutting out or breaking up when it gets hot after a few laps. I don’t know if it’s the best way but you could put on a new coil and see if it goes faster. Not sure about K80 but a KT100 is a 10:1 ratio primary to secondary coil on a resistance test.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.