Home Forums TaG clutch issue and idle

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael perez
      Participant

I have a iame jaguar just got it due to student on a budget trying to get some club racing in my problem is that the clutch is engaging at 4000 rpm or later is that normal? Also I can not sit at idle with out the engine stalling i have feather the throttle. I know that almost all the parts are identical to leopard parts so I need advise. Thanks.

Jim Derrig
      Participant

4000 rpm is high.  My personal observation is that clutch engagement speed is around 2000 with the more recent clutches, but I recall having engagement as high as 3000 rpm on leopard clutches several years ago.  It might be that your clutch is worn.  If so you want to replace it before failure, as the failures can be rather spectacular and damaging.

As for idle, usually that it related to the low speed screw being set too rich on the carb. Be aware, however, that a lean low speed setting for a smooth idle often isn’t the setting you want for actually driving the thing.

Bob Wimmer
      Participant

4000 to 6000 is normal for clutch engagement. To be safe, I would still pull the drum and take a look at the pad material. If you have over 1/16 inch, your ok for a few more sprint starts.

It is normal for your engine not want to idle when the carb is at its race settings. You can lean out the low speed needle to less than a turn and it will idle, but you have to richen it back up for the race. I typically don’t start mine until I can go on the track to avoid idling.

Bob Wimmer

WKA Stock Leopard

Michael perez
      Participant

well a quick look at the clutch shows that it was real bad if i would have raced a failure would be sure to follow

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.