Home Forums Chassis & Handling Carbon fiber chassis

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Diego Zometa 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Diego Zometa
    Participant

Hello guys, Im kinda new to karting. looking around online and reading about karts, I found info about carbon fiber body, but no info on carbon fiber chassis/frames.

Why is it that they dont make carbon fiber chassis? Carbon fiber is very strong and lighter than metal.

I know the question to some of you might sound stupid, but again! Im new to this and I couldnt find any info online about it.
    Thanks!

Im second!

Gary Osterholt
    Participant

Not allowed by the rules.

Gary Osterholt
    GO Designs, LLC
    http://www.godesigns.us

Charles Skowron
    Participant

Not to mention a steel tubeframe is about the simplest chassis you could make, and the current karts in that form are still way more expensive than they should be. The price of a carbon chassis would be obscene.

Plus, the strength and stiffness that CFRP can obtain, might not exactly be beneficial to a kart chassis. The peculiar nature of how a modern kart chassis works means that it needs to flex in order to perform properly. Think more in line of  a carbon fiber suspension, rather than an ultra-stiff carbon tub chassis.

I think I recall someone making a carbon chassis as an experiment nevertheless. Not good for karting anyway to put that idea into production.

Charles Kaneb
    Participant

The CIK doesn’t want the ground-effect aero genie out of the bottle in karting. If I were to build a carbon kart frame, it would have a nice big tunnel down the middle and a pair of replaceable wooden rub strips to seal it.

Charles Kaneb
    Participant

Chuck,

Is steel cheaper than carbon fiber?

Design a tension member, 3 ft long, to support 5,000 lbs.

Go to CarbonFiberTubeShop and price out the carbon fiber tube you’d need.

Go to AircraftSpruce and price out the steel tube you’d need.

You’ll be surprised.

Charles Kaneb
    Participant

(Both materials come out to around $1/ton/foot in tension!)

TJ Koyen

Karts frames need to flex to work. Steel flexes, carbon doesn’t. Not to mention the cost involved. Not to mention it’s against all governing body rules.

In a crash, instead of ending up with this:

You would end up with this:

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Diego Zometa
    Participant

Thanks guys!

Im second!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.