Home Forums General Karting Discussion Buying a kart from Canada eh?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      LarrySyms
      Participant

Thinking about buying a brand new kart from Canada, because they have much better deals on complete LO206 packages. Then when you add in the the 40% advantage in exchange rate, and I save a ton of money.

So has anybody done it before? How long will it be in customs? How much will I have to pay in duties? I read that duties on automobiles are 2.5% , so if it is in that neighborhood I am fine.

To give you an example, Canadian shops are selling Birel AM29s and CRG RS5s for $3000 CAD, which is only $2150USD, whereas US shops are selling those same chassis for full MSRP of $3500+ USD, so its a BIG savings.

Jed Spangler
      Participant

I emailed one of the shops and they replied they ship to the US all the time. They said they’d get back to me with a shipping quote and duty estimate. Never heard back from them and bought a used one locally in the meantime.

LarrySyms
        Participant

I emailed one of the shops and they replied they ship to the US all the time. They said they’d get back to me with a shipping quote and duty estimate. Never heard back from them and bought a used one locally in the meantime.

Thanks for replying. :)

Well never getting a reply on the shipping and the duties is a bad sign. I guess I will have to contact some of the shops, and see what happens.

Joey Guyon
      Participant

For your own budgeting you can use the following for duties and brokerage:

Brokerage $100

Duties 6%

That has been pretty standard in my experience.

JG

LarrySyms
        Participant

For your own budgeting you can use the following for duties and brokerage: Brokerage $100 Duties 6% That has been pretty standard in my experience. JG

Thanks!

Ed Chappee
      Participant

Joey and Larry, who did you use as a broker – do you have their contact info?  I’m looking a a couple of used karts that I would like to import.  I’m also looking for someone in Canada (near Detroit) to box up the karts – anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Ed Chappee

echappee@roadrunner.com

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.