Home Forums Tech Talk Broken Clutch Spindle?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Erich Moorman
      Participant

Hello everyone Im new to the sport and picked up a Emmik Chassis with the Kt100. I was out at a parking lot running it down, and after 40 mins of roughly 4 minute sessions and a  driver change I sent the kart on a nice left hand drift when suddenly the chain dropped.

I believe the chain got a hold of the clutch housing drum which resulted in a bent shaft.

This is the part I do not know. I know i need to purchase a clutch puller to get the 10tooth sprocket off. After that I haven’t been able to find any good diagrams of what could be broken. Please someone point me in the right direction.

Matt Dixon
      Participant

If that is the bent part I hate to tell you this…

But that is the crank

94y

tony zambos
      Participant

Erich,
      Welcome to karting. First, out sport does not run in parking lots or on streets because it is not safe. Contact the Badger Kart club for a proper place to run your kart. http://www.badgerkartclub.com/
      Second, I don’t recognized the clutch, but that remaining part seems to be past the taper on the shaft. If that part spins in the on crank shaft, carefully pry the woodruff key without damaging the shaft and try to pull it off by hand. At this point if you see any wobble in the crank, take it to a kart shop as you won’t have the tools to re-align or replace that side of the crank. It would be a good to take it to a shop any way as you probably don’t know how much time is on this motor.

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Erich Moorman
      Participant

To clarify, the bent portion is from the sprocket onward, the remaining axle(crank) towards the motor is true. The remainder is where the clutch sits on, and since that tension developed from most likely catching the chain is where it bent due to the leverage.

I have a contact by me, Franklinmotorsports.com to try my luck with.

Erich Moorman
      Participant

Well found out the part which is broken. Crap

Steve O’Hara
      Participant

The part with the sprocket should spin freely on the crank and slide right off if the key is removed. The picture of a replacement crank half is the other side of the crank where the ignition rotor mounts. It has a different taper and thread size than the clutch side.

If you are near Franklin take the engine there and get some good advice on the required repairs.

Steve O’Hara

Brian Mead
      Participant

+1 go to Franklin, crank halves aren’t cheap and you need a press and someone with experiance with a brass hammer to get it put back right. Please, as Tony said, do not run anywhere but a track. People are not looking for you, can’t see you, and will run over you.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.