Home Forums General Karting Discussion Bought a used kart, can I test it and then keep it in my cold garage?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Bob Spedding
      Participant

hey guys, so we bought our son a used kart with a Yamaha kt100 engine. He is dying to just take it for a quick test drive and then park it for a while. But being that he got it for Christmas he really wants to drive it.

My question is: can we run it and then put it in our detached garage for the winter?  If so, what do I need to do to make sure everything is ok once the weather warms up? Can I just detach the fuel line? And bring the tires inside the house?

Thanks guys!!

Oliver Kell
      Participant

Only issue with storing it for that period of time will be the gas separating, and maybe gas in the carb.

Don’t really need to worry about anything else, besides driving it somewhere safe. i.e. not the driveway or around the neighborhood. Car bumpers are at the perfect height to do major damage.

Clark Gaynor Sr.
      Participant

Bob, do NOT allow him or you to drive it in the street!!!  Or parking lot for that matter.  There’s nothing to gain, and everything to lose.

But let’s assume you have a safe place to run it??!!  Make sure it’s a little richer then normal or you risk seizing the engine. (I’m guessing you live some place cold).  As Oliver said, drain the fuel, put a carb kit in it, and I like to spray a little TriFlow in the plug hole and turn the engine over a few times.  That should about take care of it.  But I’m sure others have their own little rituals they follow which will work just as well.

But better yet, just have him get out the PS3 and play a little GT6.  At least it’s warm, and you can’t hurt anything til spring!

Have fun,

Clark Sr.

Walt Gifford
      Participant

Driving it on the street or a parking lot aside from other concerns will burn up your clutch and probably get you a flat tire. We’re all jonesin’ this time of year.

I left my kt100 kart in an unheated barn for 10 years and it fired up and ran good. Tires don’t freeze but put some tape over your intake and exhaust holes or a mouse will build a nest and store seeds in there also, watch out for the chipmunk.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
      Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
      Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
      41 years karting experience

Bob Spedding
      Participant

Thanks guys!  I think we will wait. The last thing I want to do is cause myself problems down the road.  Though waiting won’t be easy!! :)  And thanks for putting up with all my novice questions on this forum. We are completely new to karting . Very excited but we are clueless on many things!!

Clark Gaynor Sr.
      Participant

What part of the country are you from Bob?  Where do you intend to race?

Bob Spedding
      Participant

Kentucky. Probably race at Camden, ohio

Ray Mcik
      Participant

Hi Bob,

Congrats on your new to you kart,  You really do not need to wait till spring to try out your kart, just wait for one of the weekends that will hit in the upper 50’s  LOL it will be a bit chilly but the faster you go the warmer you will be .LOL

Just a couple of things , be sure you use a proper mix when you run the engine, 4 ounces of burris blend and 4 ounces of burris caster…per gallon of gas, next use racing gas, it does not contain the stuff that pump gas has that goes bad…

Be sure to check out http://www.OVKA.com‘ web site for the 2015 season schedule which will be posted soon..

also look over the rule book to get familer with how we run…

Btw you can practice all day for $10 and camp out if you like .

Feel free to contact me if you need any help.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.