Home Forums Road Racing Body help

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Ace Rossi
      Participant

broke down and bought a new body from Mark McNaught of Stallion Body works and he was kind enough  to come to my home here in Central Fl since he was coming here anyway and install it.

First off, He makes a great looking product and is a really great guy to get to know!

The problem has been, ever since he left it with me unfinished, that the side panels wouldn’t square up with the nose. I found the nose not centered on chassis but in Marks defense, he thought the kart was offset and it is not. So I centered the nose and the side panels now fit squarely and straight along the sides all the way to the rear. Started looking like it should. I also found the nerf bars on the sides were out too far and this too helped to line everything up.

Mark was generous enough to send me his adapters to use with a rotozip tool to cut out the wheel openings. After buying the circle adapter, and a cutting bit, I must say, it made the job a lot easier!

After cutting the right rear opening I was getting excited to finally be making headway. I even sent a pic to Mark and he replied it looks great! On to the RF and all is going well UNTIL, I put the wheel and tire back on. It sticks out about 1/2 inch! There’s no way to move the tire assy inward. The wheels are 3 inside-2 outside offset with 1 spacer between the hub and kingpin which needs to be used to space away the brake caliper.

After measuring BOTH fronts, it appears the LF will end up exactly the same.

To add its the widest body he offered at 37 1/2 inches.

I was told this is a CKI kart without an offset.

Im almost up to a grand with body, Marks time, extra fasteners, brackets, tools, etc and sort of  getting just a little frustrated! It shouldn’t be this hard to install a body OR this aggravating!

Any ideas or opinions are greatly appreciated!

John Mulvihill
      Participant

Hi Ace,

What exactly is the chassis?   The CKI laydown karts I’m familiar with use a 36″ wide nose.

What is the clearance between your tires and the brake rotors?

John

Ace Rossi
      Participant

Apparently from what I’m told there are/were two CKI mfgr’s. One in NC and one in Chicago. I was also told this one was built in Chicago. The brake master cyl’s are both mounted side by side between the drivers legs. The chassis is not offset as im told most are. It appears to be a very well built kart.

After yesterday’s post, Mark contacted me and felt a little offended that I asked for help but I want to clarify I had/have no intention of condemning him or his product. I came here merely asking for outside help to see what other options I had to correct the problem. After many discussions thru out the day, we are still at square 1 but he said he may have a lead on a fix.

The old nose that came off measures 37.75″ at the rear opening where Mark’s measures 37″. That could be some of the problem but that’s cutting hairs.

Im about to can the whole damn thing and look for a builder of a new kart and body and start from scratch!

maybe if I found shorter front wheel hubs, that would help! Who knows!

Robert Lawson
      Participant

Ace,

If you change the offset of the wheel while keeping the same overall width you can narrow the track. As John above was getting at, you will have to be mindful of clearance between the tire and caliper.

Your tires do not need to be completely “tucked” for them to clear the bodywork while turning.

Keep in mind, if you change the track width with offset you will also change scrub radius.

RPM

Austin Henry
      Participant

There where karts out there being sold by Chicago Karting, they were called “slingshot” endures, they were wider than 37.25 and had the brakes in the middle, we still have one in our shop

Austin Henry

Linda Baldus
      Participant

Ace, “Mike Baldus says” we have run CKI, Emmick and Margay w/ 4 1/2″ front wheels and 4.50 tires. If you go to a 2 1/2″ in 2″ out front wheel, you can take each wheel in 1/2″. Douglas makes that wheel, and he thinks there are others that make it also.

Keep on kartin'. llb
      Raymore, MO
      lindabaldus@hotmail.com

Ace Rossi
      Participant

Austin any possibility you could send me some pictures so I can compare mine to yours to see exactly what I might have?

changing the wheels is an option but since I have so many Id hate to change and start over.

Bernie Baldus
      Participant

Ace,

Sounds like you have the Chicago Karting Slingshot like Austin says.  CKI’s by John Klutz are narrower.

It isn’t the end of the world if the tires stick out a bit, you just have to cut out so the tire doesn’t hit the nose while turning.

Austin Henry
      Participant

Since your kart is most likely not in a corner with stuff piled on it, send me pictures of your frame and I will see if it looks like a slingshot

Austin Henry

Ace Rossi
      Participant
      Ace Rossi
      Participant
      Ace Rossi
      Participant
      Ace Rossi
      Participant

Correction on the wheel size offset that I currently have and that is 2.5 inside and 2.0 outside.

Does anyone one make a wheel that would allow the tire to be under the body? Does anyone have any new or used they would want part with?

how about front wheel hubs? New or used. The ones currently on the kart measure 3 5/8 from rotor side to wheel side or outside to outside.

Ace Rossi
      Participant

Since my last post I’ve been doing some research and it has come to my attention that this kart is NOT a cki after all and it might be a CRT built in Chicago for the original buyer/owner Woody Carlson.

Does anyone know of either the builder CRT or Carlson?

Thanks

Ace Rossi
      Participant

Now I’m told it could be made by CKT (Jerry Clayton) which is in Chicago.

anything anyone?

Bruce Peck
      Participant

Ace:  I might be able to help some.  Maybe, maybe not.  From the pics you have posted this sure looks like the Slingshot kart as others have said.  I have a Slingshot although it is a later model (one of the last made by the builder) and has some things different than on yours.  Example, the master cylinders are not mounted in the center on mine.  But other things look distinctively like how the Slingshot was built including how the brake rotors (6″ correct?) are integrated into blue anodized hubs.

If this is a Slingshot, it was made by Jerry Clayton in the Chicago area and sold through CKT which used to be known as Chicago Karting Technology (this is Jim Perry’s shop –  http://cktracing.com/ )   I bought mine directly from Jerry long after he quit making them.  It was one he built for one of his sons who quit racing before the kart was finished.

If you go to this site, you can see a number of photos of mine from when I built up the chassis for a TaG-Enduro kart in 2008.
      http://home.comcast.net/~yamadog35/tagenduro.html
      I haven’t touched the website in years so it is a bit messed up, but most of the photos are still accessible.  I modified a number of things like adding larger front brakes, but some of the components will likely look familiar.   If you think it would help I can do some measuring on mine, but I will be gone this weekend so couldn’t do this until sometime next week.

Ace Rossi
      Participant

Bruce it just happens that I got an email alerting me that someone (you) posted a reply and while I got that alert, I was in fact reading your blog on your build and yes there are many similarities of yours and mine!

Im really enjoying the article and I’m almost finished and will be saving it for future reference!

Thanks

Austin Henry
      Participant

That is a slingshot

Austin Henry

Kelly Read
        Participant

Looks and sounds like you just got the wrong width nose by what you have said of the nerf bars and old nose measures.

Ace Rossi
      Participant

Yes Kelly that’s what I’m thinking and Mark from mczero bodies is trying to come up with a solution such as change out the nose for one that fits! He says most newer karts are going narrower, not wider and the mold is hard to find but he says he may have found one that measures 38.5″ which I think would work since the outside measurement of the front tires is 38″.

I’d really hate to junk the kart for a newer one. I kind of like the design and it just feels good! I may strip it down and start a complete rebuilI d but would like the body on first so I can get all brackets and what not on first!

Now that I have a better idea as to  what I own, I’ll just sit and wait for Mark and his guidance! Hopefully I can get this done before another race or two this year! I already missed RR and that hurt! :)

Kelly Read
        Participant

If it’s the nose I am aware of, it is nice. We have it on our DAP karts which are wide.

Ace Rossi
      Participant

Well after sleeping on it I think I e decided to take Marks most recent advice and let him take the nose he supplied me with and have him widen it. He said he’s done this before with great success. The wider mold he could get his hands on is for a full body and would need a temp change which means more work. Widening the one i already have should be easier for him with less work and I already like the style of it where as the other one would be different!

Gotta find a box or make one big enough to ship it in!

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.