Home Forums 2-Cycle Racing Best way to patch holes on fiberglass seat?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Gifford 3 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Robert DeGroff
    Participant

I have an old Tillett fiberglass seat that has numerous old mounting holes. Looking to fill the holes low budget while I save for a better kart. Hope to make just a little more solid for my 195 pounds to not crack it

Home Depot has a can of Bondo Glass for $14. Or should I go with their other option of Fiberglass Resin / hardener / cloth for @ $30? Or recommend something different?

<span class=”_5yl5″ data-reactid=”.sv.$mid=11409852416314=2afcbfece3b5ad16d43.2:0.0.0.0.0″><span class=”null”>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcQFFVlsdYM&feature=youtu.be </span></span>

Thank you!

Patrick Roth
    Participant

I have used a product called Dyna-Hair which came recommended to me.  I picked it up from O’Reilly’s.  It’s pretty easy to use and I’ve been very happy with the results.

Robert DeGroff
      Participant

Thank you Patrick! I will try that tomorrow

Tim Koyen
    Participant

I just go to the auto parts store and get the fiberglass cloth/resin kit for repairing boats & cars.  Always worked good for me.  Like any fiberglass job, getting all the extra resin out and the cloth nice and smooth before it hardens are key.

KartLift Kart Stands
    DeepSeat Kart Seats
    877-777-8020
    ------------------
    Don't bother PMing me, it doesn't work. Email is best: tim@kartlift.com.

Robert DeGroff
    Participant

I couldn’t find Dyna-Hair, but found a cloth kit for $17 at walmart in the auto section. Starting now and will post pics after. Thank you ALL for the advice!

Steve Frank
    Participant

I wrote this article several years ago for a magazine and recently found it floating around on the web.  Written specifically with kart seats in mind,but also provides general info about composite construction techniques applicable to any industry.

http://www.kartpartsdepot.com/REPAIRING_A_KART_SEAT_p/034.htm

Steve Frank

Apex Designs

Walt Gifford
    Participant

I get some fiberglass rod or even wooden dowel and cut disks to epoxy in the holes before patching over with cloth.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.