Home Forums Chassis & Handling best tag sr chassis (x30)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Larry Hayashigawa 3 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Joe Morales
    Participant

Looking for the best chassis? I have a 2013 crg dark knight and need to start looking into something new for the new season next year. whats a good option open for suggestions. Im 5-10 and 140 so i have little to no weight transfer so i feel like my crg is stiff and dose not flex like i hoped it did. Tony kart the myth says there chassis fall off and get slower the more you use it. So idk? Top kart maybe?

TJ Koyen

I’m 5’7″, 130lbs and have loved the OTK product ever since I tried it. I always had an issue with weight-jacking too. I’ve never had a kart react like the Tony Kart does.

And the myth that they fall off is just that, a myth. I’ve cited these examples many times, but there are plenty of results to deny that myth. Ashley Rogero won lots of big races on a Tony that was a few seasons old. Tommy Andersen set fast lap and won one of the heats in TaG Senior at SuperNationals a few years ago on a Kosmic that was a couple seasons old. Stepanova Nekeel bought some used Tony for like $950 AT the Rotax Grands that weekend and went out and won Rotax Senior.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Brock Weiss
    Participant

You should have no problem getting two years out of a Tony Kart and still be competitive.  Just depends on how much racing and what level you are racing. We had a Kosmic Kart that was two years old and we traded it in for a new Tony Kart because I thought the same myth about Tony Karts and we are the same speed with a new one versus his old one.

So I guess I’m telling you we didn’t see a difference between a two year old chassis and a brand new OTK chassis in terms of performance

But if I were you I would just wait until TJ Koyen or Gary Lawsen weighs in on this as Im sure they will and listen to them as they are the almighty when it comes to things like this

never mind it looks like TJ beat me to it as he was leaving you a post as I was typing this. Damn he is fast both on the track on on here!

Joe Morales
    Participant

thank you i greatly appreciate the response and very good points. I know i need a kart to help with the wight jacking i feel like the kart is too rigged under me. I know tony kart is the best thats why everyone uses them. But im not a guy that like statutes (like mmm i have a tonykart im cool) lol i want something that works. The crg is a good kart im fast in it but i need those 0.2 to really be on top of the charts.

Brock Weiss
    Participant

It sounds like you have your mind already made up about the Tony Kart and OTK brand and that is fine but there is a reason why people drive them. My son has driven a few karts brands in the past and I can only tell you he won’t drive anything else other than OTK Karts.

I don’t think owning a Tony Kart is a status symbol to me as I actually think they are quite ugly if you want my honest opinion but they do work if you want to win races.

Many suggestion would be if you are looking for that .2 would be to keep with the CRG brand and try to find it that way.

I will say the Top Karts are fast are our local track but I’m not sure how much they flex and I’m not a fan of the quality of parts. With that said though the Top Karts are fast and the new ones are all 30 mm chassis all the way around which might help but I know nothing other than that.

i know my son tested the Top Kart when we were thinking of switching brands but he still preferred the Tony Kart over that  but again everyone is different

my advice is to see if anyone at the local track has something you could test out and see for yourself

Tim Koyen
    Participant

So what are the guys that are beating you by .2 running?

KartLift Kart Stands
    DeepSeat Kart Seats
    877-777-8020
    ------------------
    Don't bother PMing me, it doesn't work. Email is best: tim@kartlift.com.

David Galownia
    Participant

Joe,

Last year we ran a used OTK kart we bought off someone and fought the handling every event we went to.  We could not get the thing to run at all.   Towards the middle of the season we could run close to the front in local races and even won one or two (barely).

I was growing increasingly frustrated however because I was largely unimpressed by how the kart felt in the corners.  We bought a new OTK kart and were almost a full second a lap faster… We won almost every local event the rest of the year and by wide margins.

The kart we had was flexed out, myth or no myth.  Whether this happens due to age or it was junk from the day we got it I don’t know.  Maybe it had been crashed and bent several times.  I do know the previous owner did not run skid plates and the frame tubing at the very front of the kart had lost most of it’s thickness and was flat underneath.  I also know If we had the old and new kart sitting next together on the ground I could lightly tap the front bumper on each, the old one would bottom out on the concrete below, the new kart would barely move… I also know as we stripped the old kart down there was a noticeable “sag” in the middle of the frame (we elected to strip our old kart down and throw the frame in the dumpster other then sell it).

I guess what I’m trying to say, I disagree that an OTK kart will last indefinitely but like I said I don’t know the full history and it could just be this one was poorly taken care of and other brands would have suffered the same fate.

With all that being said, the OTK kart since then has been AWESOME.  Easy to drive and easy to tune.  At this point it’s got 14 races on it and we recently bought another new OTK kart.  On a recent test day we took them out back to back and they ran the same exact lap times so obviously the older kart has not “flexed out.”

I think for me, I would worry about the previous owner of the kart and the condition of the kart itself.  If it looks beat up  (check the frame rails all over the kart) I’d stay away.  Otherwise I think a used TonyKart will be great for you.  But I’d also stay away from one that has more than a season on it.

– Dave

TJ Koyen

Dave,

It sounds like you got hold of a poorly cared for kart. Any kart that has flattened frame rails is going to be a crapshoot.

When I ran Exprit, we had a 2014 kart that had an entire season of brutal national racing on it. I got into a big wreck at a big race and cracked the frame. Fortunately, we had a new 2014 kart on-hand, ready to go. We set that one up and went out and set times within a tenth of what the other kart was. Kart felt no different.

Don’t discount one brand because of a bad experience. Of course the kart won’t last indefinitely, no kart will. But if you care for your stuff and keep it clean and run skid plates, you could easily get a season or two or more out of an OTK kart. I’ve seen it done.

Joe Morales
    Participant

ok you have all made vary good points and thank you. I just cant seem to get my kart to work like i see other karts do. I have thrown allot of different setups at it and its the best it has ever been. My kart it 3 years old and soon i will be looking at something new.

Joe Morales
    Participant

Here we go again OTK OTK OTK lol. There has to be a reason why we keep talking about this kart because its great and work awesome. But in my circumstance weighing 140 5-10 and not able to get the kart to have optimal weight transfer needed. What is the best kart?

TJ Koyen

As I said before, I’m also a smaller driver and have loved the OTK kart and have had no issues getting it to work and transfer properly. Some karts I’ve felt were too stiff for me, but this kart is flexible and works, even with my size.

Any of OTK’s 30mm karts will be good for you. Whether it’s Tony Kart’s Racer 401, Kosmic’s Mercury, FA’s Victory, or Exprit’s Noesis. All the same kart, just in different colors.

OTK isn’t the only kart that will work for you, there’s lots of options. I’m just relaying my experience as a smaller driver, finding the product to be very good for me. If you have other options you can get support/parts for in your area, then you should also check those out.

Brock Weiss
    Participant

TJ

what about the new Merlin Chassis that Franklin Kart sells?

dont know anything about them other than they win a lot.

could be the fact they have awesome drivers or are they a really good chassis?

There are a couple of Merlins at our track and they do well

Joe Morales
    Participant

the karts are winning allot.

TJ Koyen

The kart most of the younger Merlin guys are on is the MR29 I think. I helped develop the original version of that kart when they first brought it here when I was driving with them. It was originally designed to be a good Yamaha/KPV kart, and it was. I won my first national races on that kart. I’m sure it’s been through quite a few changes since I was on it, but it was a good kart for sure. I believe Lemke runs it in TaG as well, so it works for him.

Like I said, there are tons of karts out there that will work, as long as you know how to drive them.

Larry Hayashigawa
    Participant

@ Joe

I’m 160 and 5’7″ and ran Masters at 405 for many years, so I have a similar problem as you do.  Add in the extra 12 lbs of weight on rear tires (405 vs 365), my short height, low weight and low grip Mojo tires and it becomes very difficult to flex chassis.

I’ve had 3 brands of chassis over a period of 14 years of relatively heavy duty karting.  Started out on a 32/32 mm (not OTK) kart, it was always pushing.  I then went to same brand with 30 mm main rails & 32 mm cross rails, it was better but it was fast only for 2 -4 laps.  After that the rears would get hot and greasy from the sliding and the lap time would start to fade.  I think this was due to the IR not lifting enough.

Went to OTK 30mm/30mm and it was consistently faster and rarely pushed.  I’ve never tried another 30/30 chassis but there are other newer 30/30 chassis (2014, 2015) that could be as good as an OTK.

After running OTK for 3 or 4 years, I switched to a 3rd brand 30/32 chassis and I had the same problem as the first brand in 30/32.  I then switched back to OTK 30/30 and I was instantly faster.

All that said, If you can’t get a good 30/30 Tonykart I suspect that a another brand in 30/32 would work, especially if you plan to run MG tires (not Mojos).

I just wanted to add, that the good drivers can make most chassis work but if you’re an average racer, which is me, I couldn’t recommend anything other than an OTK chassis.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.