Home Forums General Karting Discussion Best chassis for a lay down/lay back setup

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Nick LoPachin
    Participant

Does anyone know or does anyone have an opinion about what type of chassis is best suited for running a lay down seat like a safritz grabber or safritz dominator? It seems to me that certain kart chassis are better for a lay down seat vs an upright seat.

Nick

Walt Gifford
    Participant

If you’re a small guy laying down to get out of the wind you’re not going to have much vertical CG so you don’t want a real strong chassis.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Peter Zambos
    Participant

Nick,
    What kind of racing are you doing?

Nick LoPachin
    Participant

Asphalt/street racing.  Briggs LO206 engine. Also, do you know what Gif means when he says CG in the previous post above?

Nick

Peter Zambos
    Participant

CG stands for center of gravity. Sorry if this is stuff you already know, but apart from the weight-jacking effect through caster and scrub radius, the kart’s ability to rotate depends on an appropriate center of gravity to be able to lift the inside rear wheel. Oval and road racers/enduros don’t prioritize CG, and so they often use seats that you mentioned in your initial post. Those seats will get you very, very low in the kart. In most sprint applications, that seat will keep the rear flat causing huge amounts of oversteer (bind). Now, if you’re a bean pole, they might work, but otherwise I would go for a more traditional seat. If it’s the greater support that attracts you,look into seats by Deep Seat or Ribtect.

Anonymous

Peter,

I would politely disagree. In a low hp set-up like the LO206, the center of gravity being low is key. You need almost no weight transfer in order to keep the kart “free’d up”. Just look at the front runners at any big 4 cycle race that allows 4 cycle bodywork and lay down seats (Rock Island, WKA Gold Cup, Commercial Point, etc.). In the top 5, I guarantee you will see laydown seats with the bottom as low as possible (seats notched out for frame rails).

I know you can make it work other ways, but that is the easiest.

-Derek

Peter Zambos
    Participant

No worries. I’ve never claimed to be an expert at everything :)
    In light of that, we still haven’t answered the original question. Any takers?

Anonymous

To the original question, I think I would stick with a chassis designed for 4 cycle racing. In no particular order, there are a ton out there: Coyote, Razor, Ionic Edge, MGM. I’m sure there are even more. This doesn’t mean you cant be fast in something else, just easier to get support and set-up help for your situation.

That being said, the fastest of the fast (that I have seen) use old Arrow 4S chasses. If you can find one of those, it would be worth its weight in gold. I have also seen people have quite a bit of success on the new Comet Eagle. They are very similar to a 4S and get pretty good support out of Comet Kart Sales.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.