Home Forums Tech Talk Bearing replacement LO206 40mm

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Nick LoPachin
      Participant

I’m in a margay 1.1ck LO206 briggs. My bearings sound gritty but they are still free spinning. Do they need replacing? Can they slow you down even though they seem to be spinning freely? Also, what is the best way to break in some new yet very stiff bearings? Can i just throw my kart on the stand, slap the bearings on and hold the gas pedal down for a while? Does it work like that?

thanks,

nick

Ric mcDade
      Participant

Take some brake clean, and with the motor running, axle turning, direct the spray tube, just at the bottom of the seals, where they meet what I call the bearing collar. This will suck the cleaner in, and it will wash out the other  side, I use about one can per bearing, shut the motor off, give them about 10 minutes to dry, have you some good spray lube ready, start the motor and spray the lube in the same place. I give about 3 10second burst per bearing.Clean then lube one bearing at a time, so you don’t have non lubed bearings spinning while you clean the others. Then I always hit them with lube before I head out on track. Has always worked for me.

Walt Gifford
      Participant

If your bearings have grit they always will until you take off the shields and completely clean them. Then they will be clean for about 3 track sessions.

Get new bearings with rubber seals and you’ll never have grit again. New bearings don’t need break in. The grease is all through the bearing making it stiff but the grease will move when the bearing gets warm and free up first time you’re on track. Using light oil will cause your bearing to chatter and bind so, get bearings with rubber seals, put them in as is.

If you just want the axle to spin forever on the kart stand clean out all the grease and spray with wd40 but, grease is faster on the track.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
      Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
      Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
      41 years karting experience

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.