Home Forums Tech Talk Axle bearing differences

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Brian Terpstra
      Participant

I am shopping new axle bearings for my CRG, and I see the cost difference between name brand CRG bearings and Shockwave bearings, the CRG brand are 4 times the cost.  Is that difference worth it or am I only paying for the name?  Thanks.

Patrick Roth
      Participant

While I have never disected the design of a CRG brand axle bearing, I personally believe you would be paying for the name.  I have run CRGs for the past 5 years and have tried a variety of different bearings.  I currently run the SKF concentra bearings on my outer hangers.  While I really like the SKF bearings because they are “serviceable” and have lasted me several years, they are quite expensive.  Before I went to the SKF I tried a variety of bearings and if I were to go back to a “traditional” bearing I would buy the cheap ones and throw away as needed.

I could’ve swore that someone found a “serviceable” bearing that was much lower cost than the SKF but for the life of me I can’t find it?  All I mean by “serviceable” is the design was intentionally made to take off the dust covers easily, do a thorough cleaning, apply fresh lubricant, and reinstall dust covers.

Walt Gifford
      Participant

http://www.bearingson.com/category/insert_bearings/uc_insert_bearings/50mm_insert_bearings_uc210-50.asp?page=2&SortType=0

Sealed so you don’t have to clean them.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
      Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
      Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
      41 years karting experience

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.