Home Forums TaG Ask TJ

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  TJ Koyen 4 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Jim Silverheels
    Participant

TJ, what process do you use to set the low speed needle of a carb please? thanks

Tim Koyen
    Participant

Jim – He just points at it…lol.  When TJ was younger and I wanted him to do more on-track carb adjustment, he would always say that he was, but I knew he was afraid to, so he would “pretend” to turn the needles, or just point at them.   I’ll leave it to him to explain what he does now. :)

KartLift Kart Stands
    DeepSeat Kart Seats
    877-777-8020
    ------------------
    Don't bother PMing me, it doesn't work. Email is best: tim@kartlift.com.

Ric mcDade
    Participant

Ok, driving a Mike Wilson w/ Leopard, RR. Rear bar, full stiff, frt bar in, scales good, 90mm rear hubs, medium axle, 54 1/2 rear width. The car turns in great, through middle of the corner great, exiting corner and back on the gas, I get a push. At the point that I feel like I should be straightening up the wheel, I’m still giving it a little more turn. I’m guessing that I need to soften the rear? As in, the rear is lifting just fine, but setting dn too quickly, giving me an exit push? Maybe loosen 3rd bearing, maybe shorter hubs? Am I on the right track here??

TJ Koyen

Sorry, I missed this topic!

Jim, I barely touch the low-speed. I start at around 1-H and 2-L and lean in from there on the high-speed to get to my desired EGT. Usually end up around 7/8. If I feel like I’m good on my high-speed after leaning it in, but I need more mid-range, I might try fattening the low-speed up. Sometimes it seems like if you go leaner on the high, you start to get a hesitation in the mid-range and usually fattening up the low cures it.

Mainly we shoot for 1050 or so EGT. Somewhere around 7/8-H and 1 7/8-L seems to work well.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

TJ Koyen

Ric,

Take your rear bar out. You should never run that. The kart is probably struggling to keep lift through the corner because the rear bar is keeping it flat. I bet that cures all your issues.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.