Home Forums Tech Talk AIM GPS Module – Ext Power or Not

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      tony zambos
      Participant

Wondering what the common practice is for powering a GPS module, external battery or internally by the M4?

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Bill Boxell
      Participant

Tony,

If the external battery is there, use it. I feel the GPS works a touch better on 12VDC but even if there is no difference it’ll save you money buying 9VDC batterys by the multi pack.

Bill

tony zambos
      Participant

thanks Bill

Jason Bane
      Participant

I had issues with regular alkaline batteries. Brand new battery would give low battery sign as soon as GPS was hooked up. I switched to lithium battery and I have 3 race weekends on same battery and still going. Order lithiums from battery junction, much cheaper than picking them up in a store.

tony zambos
      Participant

Jason,
      Thanks for the tip. My system includes an M4-2t and a gold eBox. The eBox gives me the power of two extra 9v’s. Which batteries from Battery Juction are you using?

Jason Bane
      Participant

I’m using these, so far so good, I just have the one that fits inside of my M4-2T, no Ebox for me. …..http://www.batteryjunction.com/duracell-dl10604-9v-lithium.html.

tony zambos
      Participant

Thanks Jason. I completely missed this battery the first time I looked at the stie.

Boyd Atherton
      Participant

I’m using a 3s Li-Po RC car battery to power Mychron 4 and GPS.  It’s 11.1 volts and it charges to about 11.9 volts.   It’s been great, lasts so much longer than a 9 volt.  No more buying a 9 volt for $6 at the gas station I forgot to get one earlier.  Here’s a link to the one that I have.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7636__ZIPPY_Flightmax_2200mAh_3S1P_25C.html

I’m also using a 4s Li-Po as the main kart battery to start my PRD.  Hardly ever have to charge it and it weighs about 600 grams.

tony zambos
      Participant

Boyd,
      Thanks for the input. I’m assuming that you are connecting the battery to hub to power both the M4 and GPS module.

Boyd Atherton
      Participant

Yes.  Connected to the power leads on the 2 port data hub that comes with the GPS.  I bought a couple of the female plugs would plug in the existing plug on the battery and put flat blade connectors on to plug into the Mychron wiring.

I decided to go this route because of how quick the Mychron with GPS would run down a 9 volt.

tony zambos
      Participant

Boyd,
      Appreciate the input. thanks

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.