--> Advice On New Kart – ekartingnews

Home Forums General Karting Discussion Advice On New Kart

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Traylor 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

William Alexander
    Participant

Hi there everybody! I’ve recently gotten bitten by the karting bug after checking out my local track. Talked with some of the guys there that pushed me in the right direction and helped me figure out what kart would be the best to start out with (LO206).

I’m 20, about 195, and 6’. Live in San Antonio TX and will be driving at HCKC. So my questions to you guys are:

Where do you buy a kart?

Do you buy roller, engine, etc?

Used vs New?

Full package RTR?

What kind of chassis do I look for?

What accessories are absolutely essential to get started?

My budget is around $3k for the kart as I already have the appropriate gear.

TJ Koyen

Hi William,

Welcome to the show!

It sounds like you’re on the right path going LO206, it’s a great class to start out in and provides plenty of action and minimal headaches.

I don’t know specifically what the local kart shops are to you, but I would imagine someone at the track could point you in the right direction on that as well. Typically kart shops will have some packages, either rollers or complete karts, new and used, that they can help set you up with. I would recommend finding out what brands are supported in your area, so you know you have a source for replacement parts and tuning advice on your specific chassis.

I would go with something used first, as you’re really not going to be able to tell the difference between a new or used chassis when you’re just getting your feet wet. Especially in LO206, I feel having a new chassis is less important. I would also be looking for a complete package if possible. It just eliminates trying to piece a kart together with parts that you aren’t even sure are compatible with your chassis or whatnot. You’ll save yourself some money and lots of time/headache if you can find a complete used setup.

The main thing to look for in a used kart is making sure the frame is straight and checking for flat spots on the bottom of the frame rails. A kart that is really flatted-out isn’t going to last long and probably won’t handle the way you want it to, regardless of what adjustments you throw at it. Straightness you sort of just have to eye-ball, but generally I’ve found most people in the karting industry, especially local shops that have a customer base at the track, are honest people and can give you a run-down of the kart’s history.

Your $3k budget is more than enough, so that’s good. Just don’t blow it all on the kart and then have nothing left to buy spare parts for when you inevitably bend a tie-rod or spindle as you start getting a little braver on-track and make some rookie mistakes! We all have done it. Other than having the proper safety equipment, it’s good to have the basic tools you’ll need to work on the kart if you don’t already have them. So a metric socket set and a nice set of metric Allen wrenches will typically cover almost every piece on the kart. Also good to have some chain lube and some brake cleaner/starting fluid to clean the kart after each session and keep everything lubed and ready to go. Kart shops typically can sell you that stuff too, though sometimes it’s cheaper at the hardware/auto parts store.

Good luck! Maybe someone on here who’s local can point you in the direction of some of the nearby kart shops.

William Alexander
      Participant

TJ,

I very much appreciate your words of wisdom! I’m glad you think that $3k will be sufficient. There was a gentleman I spoke to on the track that said it might be possible to find a used kit LO206 for $1,200 and then read online to plan for $4k – $5k.

I guess I’ve gotta head back to the track and try to find out where to get the kart.

Thanks,

William

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Sold.

William Alexander
      Participant

Freddy,

I appreciate that! The karting community has been really awesome so far. I’ll send you a PM.

Thanks,

William

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Delete

William Alexander
      Participant

Freddy,

It does seem so and I’m sure most of whom I’ll encounter will give a positive experience. Struggling with the PM but here’s my email: williambrettmann@gmail.com

Thanks,

William

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Delete

Mark Traylor
    Participant

William,

second all said above.  used is good to get going.  The Birel AM29 is a great four cycle kart.  $1200 for a used package may be a pretty rough kart.   check it out closely.  I do tend to recommend a used chassis but a new engine.  That way you know where you are starting on the engine and to price difference is really not much between new and used on the engine.  I dont think it is worth the $200-$300 savings.  If you go to  Houston you can go by and see Alan Rudolph ar SpeedSportz racing park.  It is a super nice new facility with a driving school and a complete kart shop too.

Mark

Michael Zahorski
    Participant

William,

You can check with Tommy at Texas Karts to see if he has anything used for sell. He is the local shop for HCKC.  You can also check the classifieds on HCKC’s website.  Someplace nearby would help save on shipping as well.  My daughter races at HCKC, and I can tell you that everyone out there will be able to help you with whatever you need help with. The LO class typically has a large turnout, so you should always have a great crowd to race with.  Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about running at HCKC.

Mark Traylor
    Participant

William,

when I say get a new engine I am specifically referring to a new LO206

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  Mark Traylor.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ekartingnews